More Diners Cut effective October 1

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by SanDiegan, Jul 13, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jul 13, 2019 #51

bretton88

b

bretton88

Conductor

I sense automatic negativity here The RPA was the source that mentioned the new convection ovens for the dining cars, so this didn't come from this air, something was being done. I'm just not sure if this means Amtrak has completed the modifications or enough of the modifications. The new ovens are supposed to do 24 meals at once compared to the 2 the old setup could do.

2. Jul 13, 2019 #52

Amtrakfflyer

A

Amtrakfflyer

Lead Service Attendant

That was the point of my earlier post concerning the RPA. I think they are being played by Amtrak’s management to a great extent. Someone with first hand knowledge should be able to verify modifications on some units at this point. As far as negativity Anderson’s actions have instilled a lot of it.

dogbert617 and Bob Dylan like this.
  3. Jul 13, 2019 #53

Rasputin

R

Rasputin

Lead Service Attendant

I quite agree. There is really no reason for optimism regarding this foolishness.

Bob Dylan likes this.
  4. Jul 13, 2019 #54

Steve4031

S

Steve4031

Conductor

Thank you. I was not aware that some of the trains operated for two nights. The demographics of dining car customers and focus on certain diets was interesting too. Amtrak’s logistics are no where near as complicated as India’s.

Bob Dylan likes this.
  5. Jul 13, 2019 #55

lordsigma

l

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

I feel bad for the crews on the Crescent and Meteor - I have dealt with some great severs on both trains and sad to hear they will all be losing their jobs. Though not surprising if you readthe 5 year plans. This seems to be the reality for the one night trains - though I wouldn’t assume it will happen to the two nighters as the five year plans directly acknowledge the differences in the two night routes as far as food service. I actually think they’d like to have a more premium product on the Zephyr, Builder, and Starlight. But I think it’s a big mistake particular on the Meteor and Crescent which have both seen improved ridership this year.

6. Jul 14, 2019 #56

Winecliff Station

Winecliff Station

Winecliff Station

Train Attendant

Well I guess this answers my question. I came to the forum today to ask for advice on which direction I should plan my late September-early October trip from NY, going in a circle to Chicago and NOLA, then back again.

Looks like if I want to enjoy the last of the dining car experience, I will obviously want to take the Crescent first, during the last week in September to NOLA, then try to squeeze in the City of New Orleans before 9/30 up to Chicago. Since the LSL will be same-old same-old anyway, may as well leave that for last and roll in back home to Rhinecliff some time before Columbus Day.

Interestingly, none of these changes are reflected in the room and roomette pricing, at least per amsnag.

dogbert617 likes this.
  7. Jul 14, 2019 #57

spinnaker

s

spinnaker

Lead Service Attendant

Why should they cut the price? You are now getting Contemporary Dining. First it was Fresh Choices. When no one imagined it could get any better they came out with Contemporary Dining. Sounds mighty awesome. ;)

Rasputin likes this.
  8. Jul 14, 2019 #58

lordsigma

l

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

They better have more choices and better stocking of the meals for the upcoming expansion.

dogbert617 likes this.
  9. Jul 14, 2019 #59

Winecliff Station

Winecliff Station

Winecliff Station

Train Attendant

Might have to get creative with buying some prepared meals at grocery stores, since I am not a fan of cold box food.... I use one of these at work:

https://hotlogicmini.com

dogbert617 likes this.
  10. Jul 14, 2019 #60

lordsigma

l

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

Well they are at least not cold anymore - just one option is.

11. Jul 14, 2019 #61

Winecliff Station

Winecliff Station

Winecliff Station

Train Attendant

With my luck, probably the vegetarian option ;)

12. Jul 14, 2019 #62

lordsigma

l

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

Vegetarian meal is hot. It’s an Asian noodle bowl - you can get it served cold if you prefer but if it was me I’d certainly get it hot.

13. Jul 14, 2019 #63

NativeSon5859

N

NativeSon5859

OBS Chief

A natural progression, I guess. No one should be surprised.

While this would absolutely be an overall meal service improvement on the CONO - the train I probably take the most - it’s a big downgrade for the Crescent, which I also ride often.

Will have try to squeeze in one last ride on the full service Crescent.

Still - I’ll keep on riding the trains as long as they keep running...

dogbert617 likes this.
  14. Jul 14, 2019 #64

lordsigma

l

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

Yes the silver meteor could be the big make or break. It has a more substantial portion of true long distance customers than many other LD trains and a decent sleeper business. Coach is cut out completely and sleeper downgrade. The question is will they admit it if this causes ridership to drop or will they just say people aren’t riding it anymore.

dogbert617 likes this.
  15. Jul 14, 2019 #65

lordsigma

l

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

I was hoping the announcement would be that they are doing the CONO and Cardinal as the next step to standardize the lightweight services offered among the trains rather than downgrading the crescent and silver meteor.

I’ll still ride - the diner isn’t the only part of the experience for me and I detest flying. But still disappointing....but then again the most common LD train I ride is the AT and it sounds like that isn’t affected.

dogbert617 and NativeSon5859 like this.
  16. Jul 14, 2019 #66

pennyk

pennyk

pennyk

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator Gathering Team Member

I assume we are talking about the same meal. When I had it on train 48 in March, the noodle bowl was the vegan option and it was served cold. I was not given the option to have it heated. I ate the noodle bowl, without the sauce (since the sauce contains many ingredients I do not eat), using olive oil instead of the sauce in the box.

17. Jul 14, 2019 #67

lordsigma

l

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

Auto train sounds like it’s not included AND it doesn’t have the general LD menu these days. Auto train entrees are actually somewhat similar to what’s offered on contemporary dining and Acela first, but it is served to you on plates with rolls and you get dessert and salads like on the full diners - everything is preprepared before getting to the train and just heated up on AT similar to contemporary dining I think. It’s probably the closest “light weight” diner to a full diner Amtrak has. AT getting contemporary would really more affect the presentation but they could probably still serve the same exact entrees they do now.

dogbert617 likes this.
  18. Jul 14, 2019 #68

FrensicPic

FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Conductor

Already resigned to the fact that I'll have "contemporary dining" on the LSL this fall but now, getting it on the Crescent as well. Oh well. At least a good part of the trip is on western LD trains.

dogbert617 likes this.
  19. Jul 14, 2019 #69

lordsigma

l

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

That’s odd the way it was being advertised is that you could get it hot, and on reviews on here people were asked if they wanted it cold or hot. Could be your LSA that particular day just didn’t offer it - not good service if that’s the case.

I really don’t understand why Amtrak just can’t model the contemporary service off of Acela first - use the same rotating meals offered on Acela First and try to bring back a bit nicer presentation. Acela First is usually pretty decent and you don’t hear too many complaints about the service offered on it. (At least I haven’t)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    dogbert617 likes this.
  20. Jul 14, 2019 #70

OlympianHiawatha

O

OlympianHiawatha

Conductor

Now that's a neat looking container/cooker! My only concern for use on the train is the voltage draw; could it trip the car's breakers?

21. Jul 14, 2019 #71

Chessie

Chessie

Chessie

Service Attendant

Wow, my upcoming SM trip is on Sep 30th. Wonder if they remove the dining car after the arrival.

dogbert617 likes this.
  22. Jul 14, 2019 #72

bretton88

b

bretton88

Conductor

Does the Acela use Aramark for it's food service? I think the LD system has a different catering contract than the NEC does. That might explain the difference.

23. Jul 14, 2019 #73

brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

The dining cars will continue to operate; they will just be utilized differently.

Chessie likes this.
  24. Jul 14, 2019 #74

crescent-zephyr

c

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

Just curious as to why? I’ve gotten more used to flying than I ever thought I would. First class on delta isn’t anymore than a sleeper and is a pretty decent product.

I’m pretty sad I reached the tipping point with Amtrak. I loved taking the train so much.... but enough was finally enough for the LD trains. I’ll try to take the crescent with a full diner one last time.

dogbert617 and Rasputin like this.
  25. Jul 14, 2019 #75

me_little_me

m

me_little_me

Conductor

I agree. I wonder if I complain and request full refund on my October trip on the Crescent if I can get a full refund so we can fly First Class instead. The high prices combined with ever deteriorating onboard experiences has made it difficult to go to the Northeast on the Crescent. Amtrak should allow that as the advertised service will be changing Did they offer that when the other trains dumped regular dining?