Montreal Daytrip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthShore

Conductor
What sort of day trip (or, possibly overnight leaving day one/arriving back day two) would you suggest from Montreal?

I normally wouldn't disagree with a person about their country but I highly recommend a trip to Ottawa, the Capital, which is a beautiful city with so many things to see and do!

If you want some suggestions of what to see and do please ask! I liked Quebec City and Montreal, I Loved Ottawa!

I normally wouldn't disagree with a person about their country but I highly recommend a trip to Ottawa, the Capital, which is a beautiful city with so many things to see and do!
Yes, Ottawa ranks right up there......Parliament Hill, perhaps a cruise on the Rideau Canal, all the National Museums.........

DSC00678.JPG

DSC01073.JPG

DSC01094.JPG

DSC01041.JPG

But for History and Culture.....I’ll take la Ville de Quebec.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Ottawa better in the winter when you can skate on the Rideau Canal even if they have a lousy hockey team. However, I love Q.C. especially for the history and culture.

If you want some suggestions of what to see and do please ask! I liked Quebec City and Montreal, I Loved Ottawa!
Absolutely!

I'll likely be in both Toronto and Montreal over about ten days, with opportunities to visit sites on each city, with hopefully a daytrip from either or each thrown in.

So all suggestions/recommendations are quite welcome.

NS VIA Fan already covered Ottawa so depending what appeals to you,some suggestions:

Toronto: The New York of Canada! The CN Tower(close to Union Station) on a clear day will give you a great view of the Greater Toronto Area and across the Lake to New York! Beside it is the Sky Dome, now the Rogers Center, where the Blue Jays play Baseball and the CFl and NFL (Buffalo Bills)

play football! Really impressive to watch the Dome open and the tour of the place is fun!There is also a hotel in the outfield where a famous romantic episode took place during a game!

The NHL Hockey Hall of Fame is close by Union Station and worth seeing! Since the Maple Laughs didn't make the NHL playoffs and the NBA Raptors season is over there won't be games in the Air Canada Centre which is connected to Union Station!

You can also hop on a ferry out to the small city airport(commuter flights) on an island right downtown, unfortunately Toronto let Developers over build along the lakefront with high rises, the best Lake views are in Oakville south of town on the Go Train Route!

The subway is also inside Union Station but a better way to go is the Go Trains( a day pass is a good deal) which will take you as far South as Hamilton and there are also Go Buses to Niagara Falls(everyone should see it once!)as well as Greyhounds, if you don't want to go there on the Maple Leaf!

Yorkville, where all of the famous Canadian entertainers started out in,

is the gentrified version of Greenwich village full of clubs, pubs and shopping!

Toronto is pricey but not more so than New York and lately the Canadian Dollar has weakened against the Greenback!

Canadian Beer and Cider is stronger than American Beer but great and their Whiskey is good too! Alcohol ( and tobacco) is very pricey due to taxes)

Toronto also has all the cultural and entertainment venues that New York has

And is the most ethnically and culturally diverse city in North America!

Hope that gives you a few ideas, I really like Toronto and all Canadian Cities!

Is the roundhouse/railway museum in Toronto worth seeing? Or, to put it differently, it is something not worth missing?

Can I reasonably assume the myseum in Montreal is the much better and more complete experience?

Well, my "standard" daytrip is to Ottawa, but that's because the only remaining decent bungee site east of the Mississippi is up in Wakefield.

Is the roundhouse/railway museum in Toronto worth seeing? Or, to put it differently, it is something not worth missing?

Can I reasonably assume the myseum in Montreal is the much better and more complete experience?
Its not a bad museum, worth a look and its close to Union Station and Rogers Centre! (Sky Dome). Its open Noon-5PM Wed-Sun and admission is $5 CDN! The museums in Ottawa and Montreal are World Class!

Back