MontanaJim

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontanaJim

Service Attendant
what all do they have in the california railway museum in sacramento? is it worth changing my plans to see? I plan on taking the zephyr straight to emeryville.

Yes, hands down, it is worth seeing. There is WAY to much stock to list, but I will provide you with the California State Railroad Museum's website here which should give you some more information. I can tell you that there is almost anything you could think of.

It is a great place - plan on at least 3-4 hours. Also, it is in Old Sacramento which has lots to see and some great eating places. If you are staying over night there is an old river ship that has rooms for rent and a nice place to eat, too.

Here are a few pictures I took. Not many, but will give you some examples.

Here is the website for more info on that old river ship in Old Sacramento - it is worth seeing and having dinner at as well if you will be in Sac. The Museum is, hands down, a must see if you will be in the area as others have said. You might also want to visit oldsacramento.com for more information about attractions and dining options in this unique and historic area. If you're into Starbucks they just opened up one of those in the building next door, nearly attached, to the train station.

I took a trip to Sacramento earlier this year *just* to go to the museum. Granted, there's a train that takes me directly from San Jose... but worth the effort.

If they are running the steam train to Bath, you may wish to add that to your itenerary.

Back