Mobile Broadband/Northeast Corridor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grace

Hi, I am getting a new laptop (Mac Air) and trying to figure out my choices with regards to mobile broadband. I travel between Phila and DC about twice monthly and currently use a Verizon mobile broadband card (day pass not monthly plan) with a Dell laptop -- it works well but the card won't be compatible with the Air. This is 90%+ of my mobile broadband use. So, I'm interested to hear from others:

a) If you use a non-Verizon carrier (especially T-mobile) over this Phila/DC leg, how do you find the coverage? I have T-Mobile phone service and notice that calls drop fairly frequently when I'm on the phone.

b) Does your non-Verizon carrier have prepaid (daily, weekly etc) plans?

c) Any thoughts about a USB-device versus a mobile hotspot?

d) Any special quirks with Mac laptops and mobile broadband use?

e) If you're tethering your phone to the laptop during some or all of this train route, I'd be interested to hear how that's going also.

Thanks!!

I have a verizon mifi. So its obviously a verizon device, but it serves as a mobile hotspot for up to 5 devices so it would work with a macbook air. It costs approximately $40/month for service (including taxes, etc) and works VERY well on the NEC.

I would suggest that you buy a Verizon Mifi 2200 on ebay for about $30 delivered and then continue to use Verizon Daypasses if you like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back