Missed Long Distance Connections

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happens if you miss your connecting train for a long distance trip? I've seen trains running 6-7 hours late at times. I'm riding the Lakeshore Limited west into Chicago and then after a 4 1/2 hour layover, boarding the Empire Builder to Seattle. If they don't make it in time to connect, what happens? Bused to Seattle? Airplane? Taxi? (Hope not). Does Amtrak take care of getting you there and pay your expenses? Thanks for the info.

Amtrak will get you there somehow someway. If it's a close call many times they will hold the Builder so you can make the train. If it's going to be a big gap though many times they will re-accomodate you on the next train. You will be provided with food and lodging in Chicago compliments of the company.

The previous is correct providing whatever connection in question is an "advertised guaranteed connection!" OBS...

I have known Amtrak to fly a group of passengers out of Chicago up to St. Paul Minneapolis to meet the train. That may or may not still be a practice these days.

Many year ago when Hurrican Bonnie was around I was on my way to Charleston, SC. Well, when we got to Philidelphia, it was decided to suspend all trains (as well as busses, planes and everything else that was headed that way) because they very afraid that it was going to strike the entire Carolina Coast (which it didn't - but Amtrak couldn't take that risk. So several of us were sent to a pretty nice hotel, and given food vouches. My ticket was re-written and I was sent back to KC the next day (via Chicago) So thay do take care of you.

By the way, does anyone out there know when or if Amtrack with reinstate their Vacation Packages? Did they suspend because of the budget crisis? Just wondering. You could really get a good deal.

Stephanie Armstrong said:
By the way, does anyone out there know when or if Amtrack with reinstate their Vacation Packages? Did they suspend because of the budget crisis? Just wondering. You could really get a good deal.
A company that do Vacation package, partner with Amtrak, went bankrupt last year.

Stephanie Armstrong said:
My ticket was re-written and I was sent back to KC the next day (via Chicago) So thay do take care of you.
Except when they kick you off the train at Galesburg, put you on one of those chartered busses that stink, have no working toilets and no airconditioning and give you a ham sandwich and hot pop, and dump you out in the middle of the night at Indianapolis in the middle of a community riot. I will walk befor I get on one of those busses again. Busses, aint no way to run a railroad.

Back