Michigan's Knollenberg, Amtrak's Nemisis

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midland Valley

Lead Service Attendant
The Detroit Free Press today has an article by U.S. Representative Knollenberg who chairs the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation. You need to go to www.freep.com and read this article which is full of distortions and out and out lies. "Taxpayers will pay $210. subsidy for every ticket Amtrak issues. On some routes, the subsidy is as much as $466. per passenger.....All other transportation systems in our country are paid for directly. Highways and aviation are funded through user fees and exice taxes. Rail is the only passenger transportaton mode that relies solely on the generosity of taxpayers..."

Where is the truth? If you want to shut down rail travel, just say so.

I am too surprised by the lack of understanding, that "per-passenger" subsidy is not the way to measure a mode of transportation cost. Any one with a basic Economics 101 course should understand this. I might as well say it costs $10 per passenger including myself to drive my car, whether I'm going 5 miles or 5000, it will cost $10. Say I take my friend, now it costs $20. Does that make sense? I don't think so. Do the airlines ever report how much it costs them per passenger? No. It's determined in seat-miles, as well as yields or fare-box recovery. Per seat mile, Amtrak has a higher yield than the airlines. Yet does anyone in Congress mention this? Nope.

Chris:

I was not questioning your integrity at all and I hope my reply did not come off that way.

The NARP figures are revenue per passenger mile, not per seat mile as stated in your post. That is the usual industry measure of "yield". That is why I questioned your source.

Yes, Amtrak's revenue per passenger mile is much higher than the airlines, but comparing Amtrak yield to airline yield is apples and oranges. The nature of the passenger rail business is that you move many more empty seats than the airlines and ticket revenue has to pay for all the seats, not just the occupied ones. In 2004, about 25% of all airline seats were empty and over 50% of all Amtrak seats were empty.

Your original measure per seat mile is actually the correct one for comparing modes. The measure for how well ticket revenue is covering cost is to compare the passenger revenue per available seat mile (PRASM) with the cost per available seat mile (CASM). In this measure, Amtrak does not fare too well against the airlines. Here is how those stats break down for the fourth quarter of 2004:

Amtrak:

Yield (revenue per passenger mile): 23.66 cents

PRASM (revenue per seat mile): 10.82 cents

CASM (cost per seat mile): 24.26 cents

Amtrak loss per seat mile: 13.44 cents

source: Amtrak December 2004 Financial Report

In other words, Amtrak paid 24 cents to move a seat one mile but only collected about 11 cents in passenger revenue.

Domestic Airlines

Yield: 11.22 cents

PRASM: 8.42 cents

CASM: 11.96 cents

Airline loss per seat mile: 3.54 cents

source: Air Transport Association

The airlines paid about 12 cents to move a seat one mile, and collected under 9 cents.

So, even though Amtrak's revenue per seat mile is higher than the airlines, their cost to provide that seat mile is much higher. While the airlines are losing about $3500 for every 100 seats they move 1000 miles, Amtrak is losing $13,000.

Oh don't worry PRR. I never thought you were down playing me.

And I do know that Amtrak and Airlines is an apple to an orange. And I did realize Amtrak's cost is more per seat mile. I just thought it was an interesting fact. I'm not trying to downplay the airlines either, as I have interned with the largest carrier in the world just recently. I'm just wondering why a college student like myslef understands the "yield" system, and a person with a law degree or the equivalent still likes, "per-passenger" cost. Or people like Joe Vranich say things like, Phily airport takes more passengers then Amtrak. Well duh! I may as well say more people travel daily on I-95, then the number of people that live in North Dakota! Or something random like that.

Back