Marigold Hotel part 2...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Please see part 1 here: Marigold Hotel trip part one.

I had reserved a hotel near the New Delhi train station, they were used to foreign tourists so the bank transfer issues did not arise here.

A bit of a kerfuffle next with onward train tickets. I had asked the same online chap to obtain a ticket, but heard nothing back. Previously, I was asked for the money before the ticket was obtained. Getting short of time, I queued up at the new "Tourist Window" which was no longer upstairs at the New Delhi train station, but in a building nearby.
As always, a mini stressful adventure, but got my ticket eventually.
Returning to the hotel, I checked my emails, and yes, a ticket arrived from the online guy, and request for payment. I asked him to cancel it as no longer needed, and paid his cancellation costs plus a bit extra. He got a bit annoyed with me, so not sure if he will accept my business again. One more hurdle for my next trip!

IMG_20221122_105953.jpg

A few days in Delhi, taking lots of photos, then off to Bikaner in Rajesthan. Quite impressed by the fact that the Delhi Sarai Rohilla station had some lifts connecting to platforms, so no need for porters. Quite amusing though, as it seemed many folk were unfamiliar with their working, so they just went in and did not know to press lift buttons. I saw more than one person ride up and then back down again in confusion!

My Bikaner hotel was very close to the train station, and one that I have used previously. Very nice room, comfortable, and good food available in the restaurant. Once again, just seeking rest and relaxation, I did not do much touristy stuff. A visit to the fort was about my only exertion.

IMG_20221125_110538.jpg

I met an interesting young Indian teenager, plus her older brother, who were attending Bikaner to compete in a ladies weight lifting competition! She had won the local rounds for girls of her age, and this was a bigger event. Sadly, having lost my notebook, I can't recall her name. Very surprised to find a young girl into weight lifting sport, but I guess it's a mark of equality for Indian women...

I was intending next to travel from Bikaner down to Chennai, to take up my postponed visit to meet up with my ex-pat friend, and visit Malappuram.

I had my train ticket already booked, but decided at the last minute to keep the same ticket, but to alight en route at Jaipur station instead. I was able to cancel my Chennai hotel booking without cost, fortunately.

IMG_20221202_052340.jpg

I enjoyed my stay in Jaipur very much. A nice hotel and good food once again.
IMG_20221128_142143.jpg

Jaipur is known as “the pink city”, due to colour of many buildings. The Palace of the Winds was most impressive, said to contain many screened windows to allow the Maharaja’s women to look out, but not be seen.

IMG_20221130_104607.jpg

A train trip back to Delhi from Jaipur, and a pilgrimage to the New Delhi rail museum once again!

IMG_20221203_102906.jpg

A day or two later my last train ride back to Mumbai...

IMG_20221206_082458.jpg

Not many berths being available, I ended up in the top side berth on this train. Probably more head room than an upper berth in a superliner roomette!
:cool:

(The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was a British made film a few years back. A fictional story of elderly Brits travelling to India to retire in "comfort". )

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Eddie! Nice report and pics!

Don't know if I would have the patience at my advanced age to deal with things that go wrong in foriegn lands.

I'm firmly convinced that Brits can pretty much go anywhere and fit right in, unlike we Yanks!

Those of us that aren't able to do get away trips right now really enjoy reading about other travelers adventures!

As Jennifer I too enjoy travelling along with you, you always travel with a light touch and a sense of humour, thanks Ed.

A couple of questions. What do you get the most out of when travelling in India and same question re Indian railways?

Last edited:
As Jennifer I too enjoy travelling along with you, you always travel with a light touch and a sense of humour, thanks Ed.

A couple of questions. What do you get the most out of when travelling in India and same question re Indian railways?

The first word to describe my Indian experiences that occurs to me is "Vibrancy". There is such a lot to take in, from the bright sunshine, the heat, the bustle, the architecture, the wildlife, the variety in the traffic passing, the colours, the local varied customs and way of life etc, etc...

This makes it a little awkward for me to pick out one most rewarding aspect. I think that if I step back and consider, it is the overall feeling that I definitely will have an exciting mini adventure just by visiting, but at the same time, it is comfortingly familiar by way of the English language backgrounds, and also that I can manage fairly well on a budget.

I think with regard to the railways, it is pretty much the same anywhere. For me, it is the most enjoyable way to travel. India has a very good network, low fares by western standards, and less health and safety rules. Good fun to hang out of the open door to grab a photo, etc.
The chance to talk with fellow passengers on the longer routes is good too.

I have to put my cards on the table with regard to my travels, these days I am very restricted by my income. I feel India wins on all fronts as providing me with "more bang for my buck" across all the travel spectrums.

Back