Luggage on Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband and I are travelling on the Crescent next month and are booked for a roomette. Is there room on the Crescent to store 2 pieces of luggage downstairs in the vestibule area like there is on the CZ or will we have to check our luggage?

Carol

Carol,

The Crescent is a single level train, so there is no downstairs at all. Unless of course you want to run alongside the train. :lol: And I wouldn't recomend that. :D

Here's a description of luggage sizes that work on a Viewliner sleeping car, that I wrote up some time ago.

The rolling suitcase that I normally travel with is 14 inches wide, stands 23 inches tall, and is 7 inches thick. If I had two of those bags, I could just barely fit both of them side by side in the cubbyhole above the hall. The same sized bag can also fit underneath your seats. One bag could be a little wider than mine by maybe an inch or two, the other I’d say could be approximately 5 or 6 inches wider. They could not be much taller or thicker and still fit underneath the seats. There is also room for a shoulder bag next to the larger of the two seats. If you need anything more than that, then I would recommend checking some luggage and letting it go into the baggage car. Your car attendant will try to accommodate larger bags, but it is very difficult for him to do so. He usually has to store them in the shower room, and in the vestibule of the car. This means that he has to keep moving them around as people enter and exit the train at stations, or if someone wants to take a shower.

If at all possible, please try to check all of your bags with the exception of what you may need for the overnight. If you can't check your bags, we suggest you lighten the load and even carry smaller bags. As Alan states, there is a small cubby hole above the vanity (over the hall) in the smaller rooms and the area above the toilet stall in the larger rooms. However, management is starting to crack down on us having baggage in the shower room. And having baggage in the vestibule (where the exit doors are) is a big safety no-no! Should there be an emergency, the first plan of evacuating a car is either end door into the next car, then if that is not possible then second plan is to exit through vestibule doors to outside, and if that is not possible, then third plan is the emergency window removal to access the outside! The first scenario is the best option at all cost when possible in an emergency, and we don't need baggage in the way! OBS...

Just a word on single level versus double level trains (generic equipment model called Superliners--such as you saw on the CZ) ). "Taller" trains are an "out-west" railroad tradition, due to tunnel clearances in the east(tunnels built much smaller and much longer ago than were built later in the wide open spaces).

A train like the Crescent and, say, the trains from New York to Florida have to be single level due to tunnel problems in New York, and maybe another place or two as well, not sure. Years ago, before Amtrak, whcih began in 1971, there were also tunnel problems in Washington,D.C and even, before that, in Jacksonville, for example. But that has changed.

Today, under Amtrak, there are some high level trains back east where possible, such as the Auto Train from Lorton, Va. to Orlando, and the Capital Limited from Washington to Chicago.

In the past there were not so many high level trains but some of the better trains back mostly before Amtrak had what were called "dome" cars(sort of a camel hump protrusion in the middle of the car for sightseeing). Domes rarely made it back east, again, because of tunnel clearance problems, which were even more restrictive then.

I am sure this is A LOT MORE about the subject than you care to know, but if you are accustomed to superliner (hi-level) trains, this one level train just might be a little bit of a shock. Don't worry. It will get you there. Enjoy your trip. You will get used to it. Single level trains used to be the norm all across the country. Before Amtrak came out with the full lenght superliner style equipment there was not much else like that except on one old time railroad, the Santa Fe, and some commuter lines (to economize on space, not for scenery so much). .

Back