luggage and roomettes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

carolyn

My daughter and I will be on the Empire Builder from Friday afternoon till SUnday morning....and I know there is not room in the roomette for a suitcase. SHort of wearing the same clothes for all 3 days (not really an option!)- how do folks handle clothes? Go to the luggage area and get clean ones? Or, if the top bunk is left down, could you still a small bag on it? Would you still be able to get around in the room if you did that? I just cant picture 3 days in the same clothes. :(

In a roomette, I store a backpack (or two) on the "steps" to the top bunk. You can also head to the lower level where your larger bag may be stored on the racks as you enter to the train. No problem.

clearfork said:
In a roomette, I store a backpack (or two) on the "steps" to the top bunk. You can also head to the lower level where your larger bag may be stored on the racks as you enter to the train. No problem.
Correct, additionally a small suitcase or overnight bag can fit underneath the seats.

if you're in the lower level already, just go down and get the clean clothes out of the suitcase. I did it many times. No problem. My wife and I both enjoy keeping the bunks available during the day. That way if we get sleepy and want a nap, we take turns napping, or just lying down in the bunk while reading the newspaper. Personally, I don't know why people want the seats in the daytime; I just tell the car attendant to not worry about things til we get to our destination. You'll spend plenty of time sitting in the observation lounge and in the diner.

Enjoy your trip. The Empire Builder is one of my favorite trains in the world (and I've traveled the world)

Hi Carolyn,

Excellent advice from all the other posters. I just completed a great trip from Tucson to Chicago to Carbondale. Indeed, by the third day, the garments begin to ripen more than a bit. I carry a small arm bag for my tooth brush,razor, medications, etc. and a change of clothes that hangs very nicely on one of the flip out hooks in the room. And might I add one more thing -- by that second or third day, the shower is pure pleasure -

soap and towels provided. Just let the water run until hot, and if possible, schedule your shower during a service break. (Don't mind the long Sunset/Eagle connect time)

Enjoy!

Alan H

Carbondale, Il

MP 312

Back