Late arrivals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Judy

I noticed that today the Capitol Limited was over 7 hours late into Chicago. Does this happen often? I know that the trains usually run late, but at 7 hours I would miss my conection to the SWC. I'm assuming they don't hold departures for late arrivals. Any suggestions for a nice, inexpensive hotel not to far from the train station just in case we have to do an overnighter in Chicago.

Amtrak will pay for your hotel if you miss your connection in Chicago. They will also give you per diem for food and cab fare. So you wouldn't need to worry about paying for a hotel at your own expense.

Chris

saxman66 said:
Amtrak will pay for your hotel if you miss your connection in Chicago. They will also give you per diem for food and cab fare. So you wouldn't need to worry about paying for a hotel at your own expense.
Chris
Depending on just how late the train was, will depend on what Amtrak will do.

They could hold the Chief if your not too late, they might put you on a bus to catch up with the Chief, or as Chris said, they would pay for a hotel, cab, and some modicum of a food allowance.

You also might be offered, although you don't have to accept, a flight to your ultimate destination at Amtrak's expense.

Chris and Alan,

Thanks for the great info. I would have never guessed that Amtrak would pick up the tab for the hotel, or fly us to our destination. Good to know. I gave us an extra travel day (based on info from this forum) just in case something like this should happen. If we get stuck in Chicago for a day that's fine, we'll just explore there instead of San Diego. I just can't miss my cruise ship porting out of San Diego.

As a first time Amtrak traveler this forum has been a wonderful tool for me. Everyone has been so helpful. Thanks! I'm sure there will be plenty more questions before we leave.

" Depending on just how late the train was, will depend on what Amtrak will do.

They could hold the Chief if your not too late, they might put you on a bus to catch up with the Chief, or as Chris said, they would pay for a hotel, cab, and some modicum of a food allowance.

You also might be offered, although you don't have to accept, a flight to your ultimate destination at Amtrak's expense."

------or fly you, as was my case in 1994 when i missed a connection in chicago.

My train was late from DC to Chicago so they flew me to Omaha to catch the train that I missed. Cab fare was included for both ends.

The train that I missed never arrived in Omaha due to flooding, but that is another story. (Caught another train the following day.)

Back