Lake Shore no Sleeping cars Sep 2016

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Airlines do, though, run out of entrees in first class. It's happened to me more than once, which is why I like a seat in Row 2! :p

Depends on the airline. The US3 yes. The EU3 slightly less often, The ME3 less often so. Singapore Airlines, hardly ever.

Of course slowly that is becoming a thing of the past as now many airlines allow you to pre-reserve what food you'd like, and naturally that is what you are served, and the menu is much richer than the three or four items that are available on a generic menu flight.. AA has just started it and looks like DL and UA will follow soon.

I experienced this first in the mid 90s on Singapore Airlines on a short 4 hour flight between Singapore and Kolkata. It was really nice.

Have tickets for LSL BOS to CHI on Sept 7. Notified that there are no sleeping cars BOS to ALB - track work. Does this really mean that we will be bused?
I have already done this, you get off in Albany and walk 20 feet, into an Amfleet cafe/buisness car, buisness seats for Sleeper, Coach seats for Coach, number is same, 448/449
When I did it in January, it was slightly more than 20 feet and it involved going down an escalator or elevator to the lower track for the continuing train to BOS. My TA-S was the nicest in helping me with one of my bags to the platform, which helped make up for the surly Boston-based conductor on the continuing train who berated a passenger because she turned the wrong way into the coach car.
Just a small nit pick... It was not a surly Boston based conductor. Not sure if it's Albany or Springfield that they're based out of, but I can tell you that Boston only crews trains on the Northeast Corridor.

Have tickets for LSL BOS to CHI on Sept 7. Notified that there are no sleeping cars BOS to ALB - track work. Does this really mean that we will be bused?
I have already done this, you get off in Albany and walk 20 feet, into an Amfleet cafe/buisness car, buisness seats for Sleeper, Coach seats for Coach, number is same, 448/449
When I did it in January, it was slightly more than 20 feet and it involved going down an escalator or elevator to the lower track for the continuing train to BOS. My TA-S was the nicest in helping me with one of my bags to the platform, which helped make up for the surly Boston-based conductor on the continuing train who berated a passenger because she turned the wrong way into the coach car.
Just a small nit pick... It was not a surly Boston based conductor. Not sure if it's Albany or Springfield that they're based out of, but I can tell you that Boston only crews trains on the Northeast Corridor.

It would be Albany based...
Interesting. Well, he had a Boston accent and departed the train at South Station (does the LSL overnight the crews in Boston?). But, thinking back on it, he could have been a transplant.

I've got a strong Boston accent. Some people from Florida used to ask me if I'm from New York. Maybe it was a New York accent? :unsure:

I'm from GA but have lived in DE most of my life. People are always asking if I'm from Boston or England. :p

In my case, people just start off with the assumption that they will not understand whatever accent I might have, and then after exchanging two or three sentences they relax and stop squinting at me, and just carry on a conversation. :p And occasionally they even say something like "You speak English very well", indicating that I far exceeded their expectation and then some :D I guess the expectations are set by whatver they hear from the call centers or something like that. ;)

In my case, people just start off with the assumption that they will not understand whatever accent I might have, and then after exchanging two or three sentences they relax and stop squinting at me, and just carry on a conversation. :p And occasionally they even say something like "You speak English very well", indicating that I far exceeded their expectation and then some :D I guess the expectations are set by whatver they hear from the call centers or something like that. ;)
Unfortunately, for the hard of hearing, like myself, any accent can be difficult to understand. :(

I'm glad we're friends on line because I can understand you so much better...until you start talking about technical stuff. ;)

I've got a strong Boston accent. Some people from Florida used to ask me if I'm from New York. Maybe it was a New York accent? :unsure:
Could be; but I went to college with a girl from Yonkers so I know that general accent (recognizing there are differences between that part of the city and other boroughs, even) and the “pahk the cahr in Hahvahd Yahd” stereotype and his was more the latter than the former. But as AmtrakBlue has said, if one has changed residences in life it can seem muddled to others. This conductor also had the look as if he would be right at home in any neighborhood bar in Southie.

I'm from Texas, spent 25 years in the NE, traveled and lived all over the world but still can't speak English, even Texans can't understand me!

The New Yorker I know that doesn't sound like a New Yorker is Alan B, but Boston Mike is definitely from Boston.

As for jis,I'm with Betty,I understand you perfectly till you start the technical stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a speech impediment of sorts, so many think I have an accent. When talking, I've been asked, "You have an accent I can not place, where are you from?"

My answer throws them off. "The US!" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back