Lake Ponchartrain

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilburn542004

Train Attendant
I was studying the timetable and schedule for the Sunset out of Orlando to New Orleans.

My family lived in Alexandria LA in 2003. We always wanted to travel across the Lake Ponchartain by auto but were to scared. I would like to know if the Sunset travels across the lake during the daylight hours. From what I see, it looks like a strong possibility.

We would love the see the lake and although it would be a little scary crossing by train, the experience seems really exciting. I would love to hear from anyone who has crossed. I have read a few trip reports on this but no reports of crossing during the day. Also how close to the water is the train. By auto it is only a short distance making for an awesome experience. I chickened out though.

We would take the Sunset from Orlando as from some replies to previous posts, the Sunset is more apt to be on time from Orlando going West. It would really not matter, as time is not an issue.

The Crescent crosses the lake on the six mile Norfolk Southern trestle.

The Sunset doesn't actually cross the lake. It actually crosses the marsh lands south of the lake known as the Rigolets on CSX tracks. Of course there are a couple of good sized water crossings down there (a nice long draw bridge included) but it's nothing like the Lake Pontchartrain trestle that the Crescent goes over.

In the Summer, the southbound (#19) is scheduled to cross in daylight, about 30 minutes prior to the scheduled arrival into New Orleans. However if the train is late or its during the winter, it will be difficult to see the lake. The northbound (#20) is your best bet.

Back