Jim and Stacys Excellent Adventure/Last Part!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
7/20/09-7/21/09

Last day of the trip/rail pass!Arrive in SAS 1hr. early @ 2AM(of course! :lol: )Same situation as before/

full station/#2 for NOL is late/agents are unloading it/station is jammed/no place to sit!A loooooong

nite in the station,once again why is this necessary????Stacy sleeps a little, I watch them switch

and manuever freights and #2 and cars for TE#22 are cut out!Lots of luggage for LAX,rr workers are

checking all the various trains in the station,finally #2 high balls out,#22 has the cars attached and pulls into

the track next to the station!At 5AM they start boarding #1 for LAX,large crowd getting on, finally they pull

out @ 6AM,about 2o minutes late!

At 6:30AM(why wait so long?) they start boarding TE#22, large crowd lines up @ the red poles,

one person @ a time checked/cleared to board!The consist is:1 engine/baggage/transition sleeper/

1 sleeper/diner/lounge(crew gets on in AUS),ssl,three coaches and the sleeper from #2 for CHI!

Locate our coach,no seats assigned, its getting light so we put all our luggage(no checked baggage for

AUS/supposed to change in the fall????)in the racks/overhead and roll out about 7:15AM northbound for

home!We do not go the same way that #21 comes into SAS but take a different route through the

yards after backing out!Soon we are rolling through the burbs, through New Braunfles and up to a

quick stop in San Marcos,my old hometown!(Just a platform by the bus station! :) )We pass a factory

with some interesting old Lone Star Special cars used for offices with a caboose attached and roll up

the line into Austin on time now!

Soon we slow for the bridge across LadyBird Lake as we see the skyline of Austin come into view!

Its a hot,humid day,home after a wonderful journey of my dreams, lots of folks unload/big crowdgetting on,

the AUS agents tell me while were waiting for a cab(there are never enough meeting trains here!)

that ridership is really up this summer and that they will be going to 7 days a week service in the

fall with checked baggage service!We finally hop a cab,get to Stacys and throw our stuff down,

hit the bed to sleep and dream of the next adventure in the world of Amtrak!I cant wait!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back