Illinois to lead 110mph Diesel procurement

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the contract is granted to EMD for a nice new F59PHI capable of running 125 mph. I'm thinking at least 4,500 hoursepower per unit, up to 5,000, tractive effort of around 75,000 pounds starting, 43,000 continuous.

I like the Genesis, but I would like to see a good old EMD in nationwide LD service again.

Acela and light weight in the same sentence is a bit of an oxymoron.
I think the whole JetTrain project was a prime example of a government funded boondoggle, which shouldn't have been funded in the first place. It was just a way for FRA to show that they are doing something, in an area that they know little about, something that they have finally fessed upto, in considering the Tier III standards. There have been light weight diesel trains operating at 125mph elsewhere in the world since the 70s. The utter ignorance among the Americans about what goes on in the rest of the world actually enables this kind of nonsense to go on over and over again in the US. It is actually a good thing that the JetTrain project has been put to rest for good, with Bombardier a little enriched at the expense of the taxpayers in the process. Is it a surprise that Bombardier's premier passenger equipment manufacturers in Europe just looked on with amusement and then ignored the whole thing?

In the last decade and a half there have been and are light weight DMUs running around in several places in the world at 125mph. But of course that is Not Invented Here, so we have to go and **** away some more money in reinventing something.

As for Acelas, even Amtrak has come to the conclusion that this technology has no future since first of all by the time it was introduced it was already somewhat legacy. They have pretty much said openly that the next gen will be a very different thing based on different standards and a lighter weight.
Actually, Bombardier paid for half of the development cost so they lost just as much money as taxpayers did.

BTW, I lived in Europe for 5 years before moving to Korea where i have lived since 2008! I do not own a car and I ride Korail (KTX) to work every day so assuming I am some dumb American who has no idea what is going on with train travel in the rest of the world is a huge mistake on your part. I have also worked with turbine technology and can tell you that the JetTrain concept was quite sound. So much so that it is still being considered here in Asia AS A REPLACEMENT FOR DMUs!!! I can tell you from my daily experinece that while its true there are DMUs running at 125, most wouldn't come close to meeting US Tier III standards. Furthermore, to dismiss FRA requirements for safety as outdated because they require heavy trains than the Europeans or Asian countries demonstrates a lack of knowledge of current US railroad operations and the history of rail safety in the rest of the world.

To put it as simply as possible, FRA requirements require heavier passenger trains because they share tracks with heavier freight trains. If you have a contest on a one lane road between a 1972 Mack Truck and a 2013 VW Bug, the Mack truck will win every time.

And as far as the rest of the world is concerned...

First, in almost every case ALL their trains are lighter and smaller, so unless you are advocating moving vast amounts of freight off American railroads and onto higways to make American freight train an equal risk to everyone elses freight trains, you cannot compare the US with the rest of the world, period.

Second, the rest of the world has chosen to push people more toward trains and away from private transportation (cars). In order to do this they have sacrificed freight capacity and citizens who use public transit have had to sacrifice convenience of setting their own schedule. I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I LIVE THIS! In the US, we have chosen to maximize our railroads for freight, freeing up space on highways for virtually everyone to be able to chose to use private transit (cars) whenever they want regardless of schedules. The American model is based on freedom for the individual and letting freight worry about waiting for a train!

And thirdly, European and Asian Standards have actually started to move in the direction of the standards followed by the FRA. China, Korea and Japan have all conceded that to maintain current safety with new lighter trains, they have tosacrifice speed. That is why the focus in Asia has been on increasing power rather than cutting weight. In fact, each version of the KTX has been getting progressively heavier in order to allow for greater structural strength to allow faster speeds! This clearly shows recognition that the FRA's reliance on brute physics over flowery engineering is the right path.

Politics can get involved in just about any deal, regardless of party affiliation. Classic example in Florida: the purchase for SunRail's locomotive fleet is a group of rebuilt locomotives that are loosely based on the MP-40 design. For the passenger cars they went with the tried and true Bombardier Bi-Level coach fleet. Meanwhile at Tri-Rail the purchase decision for locomotives was a brand new Brookville design and they purchased Hyundai Rotem Bi-Levels. So even though you have two projects in the same state, under the same Republican leadership, they didn't use the purchasing power of FDOT as a whole and go with one group for locomotives and one group for cars, they went in opposite directions. Purchasing power goes a long way, one large order will yield the taxpayers a much smaller price tag than two small orders.
Florida's state government is pretty stripped down. Both projects rely on regional power bases and unless All Aboard Florida comes to pass, the projects are not geographically connected in any meaningful way. (I mean, you could take the turnpike...)

Besides, both projects are rather small. Believe or not, FDOT does use mass purchasing quite a bit. This will only be the 2nd commuter rail in the state. TriRail has nine lives, as it has been threatened with obliteration multiple times now. SunRail will take traffic off I-4, hence DOT pushing back work on this highway until the day SunRail opens, while TriRail is parallel the awful I-95.

Florida is very, very behind when it comes to intercity transit, no doubt about it. I had to school a coach operator the other day who thought that his trade association had "killed" intercity rail and this was for the best--I told him that not only were there more coach jobs up north, the companies actually made money, because more transpo options meant more people leaving cars at home or not buying that 2nd or 3rd one. Instead of running to compete with rail they would run times the railroad didn't and feed stations from outlying areas. He eventually agreed with me, remarking how many times his company got calls from travelers from Up North asking about intercity and intermodal transit only to find out that it's practically non-existent.

Second, the rest of the world has chosen to push people more toward trains and away from private transportation (cars). In order to do this they have sacrificed freight capacity and citizens who use public transit have had to sacrifice convenience of setting their own schedule. I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I LIVE THIS! In the US, we have chosen to maximize our railroads for freight, freeing up space on highways for virtually everyone to be able to chose to use private transit (cars) whenever they want regardless of schedules. The American model is based on freedom for the individual and letting freight worry about waiting for a train!
I feel really free having to drive all those hours unpaid, or having my choice of spotty & sketchy bus connections with no guarantee of a seat or a mandatory irradiation and turbulence nausea ride just b/c a friend got married or I want to see my cousins.

The US has the land to expand HSR and conventional rail. It just lacks the will. Better to spend $1000/passenger on air taxi rides through EAS. USA! USA!

I wonder what severely disabled people do--end up housebound? No ground transportation for you!

Actually, huge # of US elderly are already housebound, so one shouldn't joke about it.

Back