How Do They Get Here

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalsteve

Train Attendant
I was driving home (in the Los Angeles area) the other day and saw a full Sounder trainset (including engine) on a Metrolink track. My question: When another line (like Metrolink) leases cars, how do they get there? Does an Amtrak crew bring them?

The Starlate brought the Sounder cars down to Los Angeles (the Sounders were coupled onto the rear, a couple of them each day until they all arrived).

jccollins said:
The Starlate brought the Sounder cars down to Los Angeles (the Sounders were coupled onto the rear, a couple of them each day until they all arrived).
I'm not sure if I like the Sound of that. :lol: :D :p

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :)

OK, thanks (for the info, if not the pun!). It was just weird seeing a full Sounder trainset, including locomotive, chugging down the track.

Sounder has three sets on lease IIRC. One set is in Washington on the VRE (I believe with two engines), the other in LA on Metrolink. Just one correction to what JC said, any engine would've been in the front of the consist with Amtrak's road power so that the train wasn't towing all that dead weight, and so they had full control of the engine's braking system.

battalion51 said:
Just one correction to what JC said, any engine would've been in the front of the consist with Amtrak's road power so that the train wasn't towing all that dead weight, and so they had full control of the engine's braking system.
Good point - thanks for the correction batt. The Sounder locos that came south were in between the two Amtrak locos and the baggage car. I remember seeing them come south this way.

battalion51 said:
Sounder has three sets on lease IIRC. One set is in Washington on the VRE (I believe with two engines), the other in LA on Metrolink.
There are two Sounder train sets on the VRE, along with two engines.

battalion51 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they combined into one big set?
You are corrected. :lol:

That would make for an 18 car train and VRE doesn't run any trains longer than 6 cars. VRE actually runs the Sounder cars as 3 distinct trainsets, 2 5-car trains and 1 6-car train.

Further details on the VRE trainset makeup can be found here.

Back