House panel approves cutting Amtrak routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
House panel approves cutting Amtrak routes

The Associated Press/WASHINGTON

By ANDREW TAYLOR

Associated Press Writer

JUN. 15 1:05 P.M. ET Amtrak would have to end all of its cross-country routes, service between Chicago and New Orleans and the Auto Train to Florida under big cuts in taxpayer subsidies approved by a House panel.

The proposed cuts, which need approval of the full House and Senate, came Wednesday as an Appropriations subcommittee approved a transportation funding bill that would slash Amtrak's budget by more than half and limit federal subsidies to $30 per passenger per ride.

The cuts would not apply to most Amtrak service in the Northeast corridor, as well as shorter corridor routes in the Midwest and California. Panel chairman Joe Knollenberg, R-Mich., said those routes account for 80 percent of Amtrak's ridership. He said some money-losing routes, such as the Sunset Limited between Los Angeles and Orlando, require federal subsidies of more than $400 per passenger.

Full story here

FIGHT FOR WHATS RIGHT

Nows the time to fight like we never have before, call your Representatives and Senators daily if not more. More importantly tell friends and family, have them call too. Tell your elected officials your outraged at the lack of funding to maintain nationwide service. Write the opinion/editorial section of your local paper. Copy what I wrote last month on here if you want. Just get the word out.

This forums great I come to it everyday..but we're in the process of losing all Amtrak service in next 90 days. No 180 day notice if Amtrak shuts down. No service at all. GAME OVER MINETA/BUSH WIN.

More importantly we've seen all the lies and deception that have been played against Amtrak. What other lies are going on in this country now? I suggest everytime you come to this site, email or call your senator/ representative/newspaper also. This has become a very personal issue to me for various reasons. The good guys have to win this one! If we lose Amtrak we're losing part of our country.

The report said that "This does not mandate a shutdown of service, that state and local governments can continue", This from Rep. Knollenberg (unsure of spelling) of MI. This has to be one of the greatest political untruths of the millenium. It absolutely does mean shutdown. and the when it does shut down Bush and Mineta and the members of this House Panel and all other Amtrak opponents can simply say, "The States chose to kill Amtrak".

Time to bombard Congress guys! I'll reiterate whats said before. No person or administration will single handedly dismantel my trains. Calling your reps. this week is a must for every member of this forum. It's your assignment! I don't care if you already know they support or don't support it. Call them anyways.

Tell them the huge misconception of "per passenger subsidy." Anyone with a basic class in economics knows that this is never true. It's not like when you drive your car, it costs $10 or $20 for each person, no matter how far you go.

Amen to saxman's post. There are powerful forces at play, here, folks, and we all need to make a concerted effort and remind our elected officials that they work for us, not the Highway Lobby. If we don't offer rebuttals, there is a tacit concession to the anti-passenger rail individuals.

I would also like to point out that the unti of measurement is the Revenue Passenger Mile, i.e. one passenger carried one mile. Anything measured "per passenger" doesn't mean all that much, as the unti of measurement is inaccurate. Why do you suppose the B.T.S. uses Revenue Passenger Miles as the form of measurement for profit or loss? You don't suppose that this unit of measurement is MORE ACCURATE than measuring things "per passenger" don't you? [rhetorical question]

Back