Hotels convenient to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its looks like $20-$300/night is the new norm for hotels. If you are visiting Northern AZ the station at Flagstaff is only three short blocks and a 10 minute walk from the Marriott Spring Hill suites. Great accommodations but over $300/night. The only place that I know of where rates are reasonable are outside the small cities like at Harrisburg, Carlisle and Mechanicsburg, PA. During the "off season" you can stay there for $90-$125/night and in season $175-$200/night. As a rule, if you want reasonable hotel prices best to travel in fall and winter.

If you are going to be renting a car soon after getting off an Amtrak train it is hard to beat Galesburg IL with Enterprise within walking distance. I drove from Galesburg to Lima Ohio to a nice AirBnB. My trip this month included 6 nights in AirBnB's and one night for less than $80 in a Mansfield OH Quality that is becoming a Hilton this summer. For solo travelers to Chicago, your best bet is the HI Hostel on Congress. It is the largest HI hostel in the US and has dorm rooms for colleges on the upper floors.

If you are going to be renting a car soon after getting off an Amtrak train it is hard to beat Galesburg IL with Enterprise within walking distance. I drove from Galesburg to Lima Ohio to a nice AirBnB. My trip this month included 6 nights in AirBnB's and one night for less than $80 in a Mansfield OH Quality that is becoming a Hilton this summer. For solo travelers to Chicago, your best bet is the HI Hostel on Congress. It is the largest HI hostel in the US and has dorm rooms for colleges on the upper floors.
Parents accompanying their kids to Galesburg, IL who will be attending Monmouth College in nearby Monmouth, IL (a shuttle bus to campus meets the train) can stay at the Super 8 just a few blocks N of the Monmouth College campus, and next door to a County Market supermarket (handy for snacks for both parents & students). The hubby and I frequently stayed there when visiting our daughter at Monmouth College. (Galesburg should have several inexpensive chain hotels as well, although I don't know how close to the Amtrak station they are. There is a lovely coffee shop in downtown Galesburg, however; my daughter & I ate there when she was in Galesburg for a job interview.)

More than once I have enjoyed Lunch at the Landmark Cafe and Creperie about a block and a half from the Amtrak station in Galesburg when I've been between Southwest Chief and California Zephyr schedules.

I have always wondered, if because unforeseen train delays an overnight stay in Galesburg was necessary, what hotel options there might be there.

Would anyone know about hotels near the Amtrak station, or have hotel recommendations for Galesburg?

aA

More than once I have enjoyed Lunch at the Landmark Cafe and Creperie about a block and a half from the Amtrak station in Galesburg when I've been between Southwest Chief and California Zephyr schedules.

I have always wondered, if because unforeseen train delays an overnight stay in Galesburg was necessary, what hotel options there might be there.

Would anyone know about hotels near the Amtrak station, or have hotel recommendations for Galesburg?

aA
I did a quick search on Bing Travel, and it looks like the nearest place to the Amtrak station is the Great House bed & breakfast, approx. 8 blocks N of the station. The other hotels in Galesburg seem to be mostly near either I-74 (E of downtown) or possibly US 34 (N of downtown), and would probably require a taxi or Uber if one doesn't have a car. (Even that B&B might require a taxi ride if one isn't feeling spry enough to walk that far; I could have done it in my 30s, but not now, a few decades later.)
I haven't had to stay overnight in Galesburg myself, so if anyone else has personal experience of Galesburg hotels, please contribute your observations!

For those whose plans include driving to a location where there is an Amtrak station and parking your car during your trip, I have found a lot of success with stay, park and fly hotel deals. These usually are at airport hotels. I have used this when driving to catch a train at Baltimore or Washington - there are plenty such deals near BWI airport and there is a train station right there. These deals usually are for a one night stay, parking at the hotel during your trip (usually up to seven days, but sometimes longer), and often include shuttles to the airport (which aren’t useful for Amtrak trips other than the one I did that dropped us at the BWI Amtrak station). Generally you pay pretty close to the normal room rate and save quite a bit since you aren’t paying 30-40 per day (or more) for parking

I have found a lot of success with stay, park and fly hotel deals.
I've used park and fly stays several times and find they work well as intended, but I've never been able to make them work with Amtrak. Where I live Amtrak departs a $50 ride away from the nearest airport hotel in the middle of the night. Outside of commuter routes Amtrak often departs from dismal areas at off hours that could benefit greatly from a "park and ride" setup with hotels close enough to serve the station. It would be great if Amtrak created a liaison position tasked with looking for first/last mile opportunities and negotiating free/cheap shuttles when someone books through Amtrak.com.

Last edited:
Back