Hey everyone!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
Hey yall, I have finally had some consistent use of internet service over the past few days up in Denver, so I thought I'd pop on here and let everyone know that I am ok. The Sunday before the storm hit I left for Mississippi with my family. Now, I am in Denver for work, and I will probably be here indefinetely. Six months, probably more.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for the New Orleans area for the first time since I left on 8/28. Of course, I'm taking Amtrak both ways. I'll be taking #6 to Chicago then connecting to #59 to Hammond, which is only like an hour away from my home in Metairie. It was over $200 cheaper than an airline ticket. I'll be staying for ten days.

Question about the "new" City of New Orleans: Is the train running without Sleeping Cars as well as the Dining Car? Is the lounge on the train a regular Sightseer Lounge?

Thanks, and I'll be writing back on here as soon as I get the chance.

Long live New Orleans...and Amtrak!

Steve in DEN/NOL

Steve,

First off I'm glad to hear that you and your family are safe. :) Thanks for checking in and letting us know that. Many were concerned about your safety.

To the best knowledge we have, the sleeping car still runs on the CONO. Only the diner is gone at present. I'm not sure if they are using a normal sightseer lounge, or a special lounge to deal with the loss of the diner.

The Train is running with a Sleeper, but no Diner :angry: Anyword on how your house fared? Regular Sightseer it is running with also CONO should have it's Diner back when it returns to NOL I'm hearing the Union threw a tissy when they announced they were going to get rite of it.

NativeSon5859 said:
Hey yall, I have finally had some consistent use of internet service over the past few days up in Denver, so I thought I'd pop on here and let everyone know that I am ok. The Sunday before the storm hit I left for Mississippi with my family. Now, I am in Denver for work, and I will probably be here indefinetely. Six months, probably more.
The Forney (Spelling) Museum was quite interesting and had a Snow Blower, Boy was that big.

And isn’t that where Caboose Hobbies is?

Nativeson, in case you're interested in making Denver a permanent home, they are hiring an AC in Denver right now.

Slight change of plans. Since today's Zephyr #6 will be at least seven hours late into DEN tonight, I have little choice but to fly from here to Chicago tomorrow morning at 6:15am (the only one of our flights that has seats left), spend the day there once again, and take #59 as planned down to Hammond.

Just my luck, the day I want to travel, the train is massively late. Oh well.

I'm going down to the DEN station in a few to try to see if I can get a credit for the soon-to-be unused DEN-CHI portion of my ticket.

PS - My house fared ok. No water damage. Minor roof damage, our fence got knocked over, and some other small things, but it could have been a lot worse.

Back