Guess it's time I do this

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomDePlume

Train Attendant
I'm a single mom living in the Midwest. My daughter is 10. We both have Asperger's Disorder (a type of high-functioning autism). I'm not adverse to answering honest questions about our experience with it if you're curious, but our experience is only one perspective of being Aspie and everyone is different, so please remember that. I enjoy reading and writing, and have self-pubbed one poetry book and am working on a sci-fi slipstream book (I don't anticipate being done soon, I've been working on it for years). Kiddo enjoys playing Pokemon on her DSi and making paper airplanes along with anything about dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (but mostly dinos and megalodon).

Welcome to AU! Having read your previous posts about the upcoming trip, I hope you find your travels aboard Amtrak to be enjoyable and the preferred alternative to other modes of transport. Personally, it should be a great trip. I look forward, as I'm certain others do as well, to hear what you think after its all completed.

Welcome!
hi.gif

I too have Asperger's, so you are not alone on AU!

Aloha

Your Poetry interest sound like my mom, and your daughter ha similar interest as your daughter. Enjoy the group and Amtrak

I have a mild form as well, so I understand much of what you posted in the other thread. I hope you enjoy your upcoming trip! ^_^

Sorcha, your aversion to crowds and noise had me wondering if that was the case ;) I wasn't even dx'd until I was 34, and since it made no difference to anyone other my daughter I don't even have that in writing. Having doc's word that I understood was enough for her to not feel so alone and it explained a lot to my Dad, lol.

Sorcha, your aversion to crowds and noise had me wondering if that was the case ;) I wasn't even dx'd until I was 34, and since it made no difference to anyone other my daughter I don't even have that in writing. Having doc's word that I understood was enough for her to not feel so alone and it explained a lot to my Dad, lol.
I was 33. After the doc and I talked about it, everything that made me feel abnormal over the years made *so much sense*. The dx was actually more freeing than anything. He was worried I'd take it negatively, but part of me was all "yaaaaayyyy" about finally having an explanation. ;)

The people who don't know just think I'm an over-sensitive curmudgeon, and I'm okay with that.

Do you ever watch "Big Bang Theory"? Sheldon is said to be modeled after an Aspie, and some of the stuff he says and does is dead-on perfect. His friends don't "get him" either, but to me, he's very loveable. Plus, I totally agree with some of his so-called quirks. Oh, and he's crazy about trains. :) They even had an episode dedicated to train travel. The gang took the Coast Starlight to a comic convention.

Do you ever watch "Big Bang Theory"? Sheldon is said to be modeled after an Aspie, and some of the stuff he says and does is dead-on perfect. His friends don't "get him" either, but to me, he's very loveable. Plus, I totally agree with some of his so-called quirks. Oh, and he's crazy about trains. :) They even had an episode dedicated to train travel. The gang took the Coast Starlight to a comic convention.
Aloha

It took me a while to find that episode. Typical Hollywood the take the Coast Starlight north to ? San Fran, but the images out the window are the views going south towards San Diego on a Surfliner

Aloha

It took me a while to find that episode. Typical Hollywood the take the Coast Starlight north to ? San Fran, but the images out the window are the views going south towards San Diego on a Surfliner
Yeah, and the seats are red. Aren't they blue on the real train?

Aloha

This is the car they say they are in

9440186_bpWZn-M.jpg

Not sure which studio that is shot at but I think they never go on locations so that is some Senic artist idea of what the Starlight looks like. Considering the shooting needs it would be unlikely to do much shooting on a real passenger car.

Aloha

Yeah, and the seats are red. Aren't they blue on the real train?

Aloha

I saw that episode. I know they were not in the PPC, as there are no tables at the end of the car (swivel seats only), but I never noticed the scenes out the window were of the Surfliner!
rolleyes.gif

I watch it sometimes, didn't catch the train ep. Lately on Netflix I started watching Ally McBeal, and John "The Biscuit" Cage (and his cousin) seem very Aspie. I loved model train sets as a kid but never had one. A local toy store in my hometown had this big set-up, very detailed, that I loved to watch. I grew up watching my Dad put together loads of model planes on 1:72 scale (and he's USAF retired), so I'm more familiar with planes than trains.

Back