Getting Out of Dodge Part II

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer
Todd and I woke up around seven. I went to breakfast and snuck a bagel back-- after some time in the lounge car arranging who would take showers first we found out that Todd's meals would be complimentary as if he were my plus one in the bedroom. Veronica, the LSA in the Diner, was a control freak-- extremely strict with its operation. She wouldn't let us use our cell phones (which was fine) but when she banned texting, and even photography in the diner I'll admit I was annoyed. Note none of that was directed at me, but delivered over the PA.

A lady in the 331 car had a little pug which was somehow deemed a service animal. She brought it in to the Diner (which Veronica incidentally didn't mind) and Simon told us that the TAS in that car had "issues with accidents" since she didn't walk it at La Junta.

Todd and I both enjoyed the Southwest scenery and found endless topics to talk about.

DSC_0411.jpg

He kept quoting the Big Lebowski and Fight Club. When we went to lunch he was happy to find a man who enjoyed those movies as much as he did. He had the burger for lunch as well as the steak, he enjoyed both.

When we got to Albuquerque the Native Americans had set up a sort of bazaar where, for the hour, the passengers could shop and haggle. There was a very relaxed atmosphere as both pax and crew enjoyed the hour. Simon gave us advice on which tables had reasonable prices and which were price gougers.

I asked Simon to take a picture of me and believe it or not the Conductor obliged. I then returned the favor and took a picture of them both.

DSC_0481.jpg

As we passed through Arizona Todd's friends called him from LA and told him where he was going to stay-- we talked about how amazing a one-serving friendship could be and how we had, somehow in two days, made the most of it... as the sun was setting the pair of us (who had met about 24 hours previously) marveled at the beauty of the desert's palette.

DSC_0649.jpg

DSC_0655.jpg

Right before the stop in Flagstaff his father called and thanked me for all that I had done for his son. I explained that I had done nothing, really, that this thing called life just happens, especially on trains.

When I woke up, I got a shower and went to breakfast. After breakfast I returned to the room to find Todd was gone. The final thirty minutes I sat alone for the final approach to LA. When I got off the train I went over to the Post Office to mail some post cards. I was waiting for WhoozOn1st (Patrick) for a little bit but assumed he got his rails tied up. My cell rang and it turned out to be Simon who told me I had left a jacket in my room-- I told him if he gave it to lost and found I would pick it up before my transfer to 14.

My cell phone rang again and it was our friend Patrick who had been on a late train, whereas 3 was an hour early. We met, mailed post cards, and began a quick tour of LA since it was my first time in the city.

We went up on the Red Line for a little bit, to Pershing Square, to try and get to the Angel's Flight Railway. We got lost no less than three times on the way there.

DSC_0807.jpg

We went through the Jewelry District and down Broadway where so many old theatres had been turned into, of all things, bars and cafeterias. We discussed the differences between LA and NYC, and overall had a great time... even though I was hauling my 80lb duffel bag around for two hours.

DSC_0827-1.jpg

When we got back to the Red Line station I pointed to a map that said Angel's Flight was only a block North of us, we had completely taken the wrong turn! More about Angel's Flight and his account can be read here... We had an awesome time even though I broke my camera bag.

DSC_0894.jpg

Going back to LAX we discussed the Red Line, punk, the design of the LA subway system-- how new and artsy it was. When we got back to LAUS we went down to the end of the platform and take pictures. It was funny how nobody cared that two guys in fun fezzes were taking pictures of their locomotives... with cameras! Railfans need not fear LAUS as long as they have common sense... what a novel idea.

Thus I boarded 14 and departed LAUS, but not with one last picture of somebody who, on hindsight, I should have mooned.

DSC_0954.jpg

Coming up, Part III: LAX-SPK

Album of pictures from my entire trip can be found here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back