Future ideas for Atlantic Coast Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is now important to build infrastructure that can satisfy the need for both high-level and low-level/freight if at all possible. It would be dumb to rule out this flexibility.
Maybe but compliance with the ADA is long overdue. Since it was unlike to make the system full capable to handle the Superliner 3 cars. (Superliner in NYP) We get what we get.

Syracuse NY station is normally a high-level passenger train station. It however can see Superliner equipment occasionally. There is a spot for the baggage cars to swing onto a ramp to high-level platform. That turn spot is where Superliner equipment pick up and delivers passengers. The high level platform also see freight traffic (local) going past it.

I wonder if the specs for the new high level equipment will require high and low level boarding. NJT tried to do it, but would not be suitable for Amtrak.
Don't all Amtrak single level cars have both high and low level boarding? How is the NJT or SEPTA high and low level boarding any different? All of them use traps at the door which hide the stairs in high level setting.

Venture cars in addition to high level traps with automatically deployed gap filler and low level stairs with addition steps that extend out at stops, also come with easily deployable lifts at a few doors. I think that is what will become standard more or less.

Sure, I was thinking level boarding, no traps required for high level cars (assuming Amtrak goes that route for some LD equipment). Once on board passengers could presumably use the in car elevator.
I don’t think NJT had any such cars where you could level board from a low level platform.

Anything is possible. But my guess is that Superliners in Atlantic Coast service won't happen ion the next 10-15 years. And beyond that I personally won't care what happens :D
That is, if there will still be any Superliners in 15 years.

Back