"Funemployed:" No Job & Loving It

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
Wasn't sure where to put this, but here it is:

In an unusual take on current tough times, this interesting L.A. Times feature is about folks who have discovered a silver lining to the economic meltdown in the form of free time to enjoy travel and other activities. It gives the Urban Dictionary definition of "funemployment" as "The condition of a person who takes advantage of being out of a job to have the time of their life."

I'm reminded of a friend here at Amtrak Unlimited who, when furloughed from his airline pilot gig, promptly embarked on an epic Amtrak journey that touched the four corners of our nation by rail.

The article also explores a possible generational shift in attitudes toward employment, and includes a video of commentary by a "funemployed" former Yahoo worker.

Nice work if you can avoid it

"The 'funemployed' -- mostly single folks in their 20s and 30s -- are opting to hit the beach instead of punch the clock."

Wasn't sure where to put this, but here it is:
In an unusual take on current tough times, this interesting L.A. Times feature is about folks who have discovered a silver lining to the economic meltdown in the form of free time to enjoy travel and other activities. It gives the Urban Dictionary definition of "funemployment" as "The condition of a person who takes advantage of being out of a job to have the time of their life."

I'm reminded of a friend here at Amtrak Unlimited who, when furloughed from his airline pilot gig, promptly embarked on an epic Amtrak journey that touched the four corners of our nation by rail.

The article also explores a possible generational shift in attitudes toward employment, and includes a video of commentary by a "funemployed" former Yahoo worker.

Nice work if you can avoid it

"The 'funemployed' -- mostly single folks in their 20s and 30s -- are opting to hit the beach instead of punch the clock."
Well my friend you may or may not get a kick out of this~ I was at NOL to pick up Tom on Monday and a "gentleman" walked up to me. He obviously had seen better days. Surprisingly, he did not ask for any money. Instead he asked,"What do you do?" I gave him my standard reply, "I'm a bum" without thinking. He put out his hand to shake mine while saying, "Me too brother!"

The article also explores a possible generational shift in attitudes toward employment
I seem to recall mentioning this in a post awhile back, and certain of the older, more traditionally minded members of AU ;) sort of shot that (and me) down as being irresponsible.

It's what's happening, for better or for worse. I think it's for the better, since it will force employers to realize they have to promote good working conditions (including flexible time, extended vacation, etc.) in order to retain their valuable employees rather than just assume they'll stay because they have a good career and/or aren't willing to give that career up.

The article also explores a possible generational shift in attitudes toward employment
I seem to recall mentioning this in a post awhile back, and certain of the older, more traditionally minded members of AU ;) sort of shot that (and me) down as being irresponsible.
Perhaps not surprisingly, similar views are among those voiced in these L.A. Times letters to the editor about the "funemployment" article:

Letters to the editor; Unemployed and loving it

No copy/paste necessary for a change cuz the 5 letters at issue lead the page.

Perhaps not surprisingly, similar views are among those voiced in these L.A. Times letters to the editor about the "funemployment" article:

Letters to the editor; Unemployed and loving it

No copy/paste necessary for a change cuz the 5 letters at issue lead the page.
Well, I wasn't quite referring to the attitude that work isn't necessary (though I have no problem with those who invest well and then choose to retire young and enjoy the fruits of their money working for them)--more that the general idea that putting in your 40 every day at the same company for 35 years through thick and thin in order to advance through the ranks is now obsolete.

I did wonder when reading the original article and some of these letters how some of these people are affording it. If I lost my job and couldn't find a replacement, I'd probably last a month before defaulting on bills and payments--maybe a month and a half or two months if I absolutely cut back to the bare bones. Yeah, I should be saving and investing a little bit more than I currently am (I'm working on that), but what are these people doing? Do they really have $25,000 saved up in a savings account? Or are they cashing in their retirement accounts (yipes!)?

Then again, traveling on a budget doesn't require tons of money. If you're relatively free of encumbrances, bills and commitments and flexible like I am, $5,000 and airfare deals or airline miles will get you pretty far. I've done it twice: once after getting laid off from the Alaska Railroad (though $5,000 per month paychecks throughout the summer while living like a college student will certainly help fatten the savings account!) and traveled with family (yes, mooching off them) for about three months, and more recently, I took a couple months off to go to Australia (although I came back pretty much mortgaged to the hilt). I doubt I could have gone much longer than what I did, though.

Back