From Texas to Alaska by land

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cp

Hi everyone,

I live in TX and am planning a land trip to West Canada and Alaska for next year, some of which would be by train. I was thinking of the following routing, and I would appreciate your suggestions:

Dallas-Chicago /TX Eagle

Chicago-Grand Forks /EB

Grand Forks-Winnipeg /Car rental one-way or bus on Jefferson Lines

Winnipeg-Jasper /Via Canadian

Jasper-Prince Rupert /Via Skeena

Prince Rupert-Juneau-Whittier /Alaska Marine Highway

Whittier-Anchorage-Fairbanks /Alaska RR

If anyone is familiar with parts of this routing, I would appreciate your opinions.

I have ridden between Winnipeg-Jasper and Anchorage-Fairbanks. Both are great trips. The Via Rail web site has a lot of useful information adout all their trains and I was just looking at the Prince Rupert part a few days ago. It has many links to hotels, things to do, other transportation, etc.

There are several classes of service on Via which you can review for each of the portions of the trip. The Canadian only runs three days a week, and I think the Skeena has limited schedules at various times of the year. Jasper is a nice place for a lay over if that has to be done.

Prince Rupert has become quite a cruise ship port and you can probably find one that would take you to Alaska. The schedule on the Prince Rupert site looks like a cruise ship is there almost every day in the summer.

BC Ferry also runs trips back down to Vancouver Island (Port Hardy) if you are looking for a different way to return.

The Alaska Rail site will give yo all the info you need about their trains and service.

Sounds like a great trip!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back