first time travelling by train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_carolina

Hello...

I will be travelling first time by train from Toronto to Cary, NC. Please can you tell me if this will be a good choice or not.

Will it be safe. If anyone ever been to NC...how was the experience.

Can you tell me the pros and cons for travelling by train. I will be travelling by myself...so a bit concerned.

From Toronto to North Carolina for first time Ever!!! I have to go through New York City..Penn Station.

Please Help..Thanks!!

The main problem that I see is the connection time. If you take the Maple Leaf you will arrive in NYC at 9:45 pm. The Carolinian does not leave until 7:15 AM the next day. Do you have plans for a hotel?

Aloha

You are traveling on routes I am not familiar with so I can't help there. Be sure you have your travel papers in Order (Passport, Visa or what). My sister went to Montreal from DC and was surprised how long a trip it was. She also commented about the train stopping in the middle of some ware to check passports.

As to safety you can expect the same as almost any ware else, no special precautions just use common sense.

You also can expect good service and an enjoyable trip. Maybe late so laugh about it, enjoy it, an as someone else says's "late trains=more time on train"

Amtrak can be a wonderful way to travel, but not in every circumstance. In my opinion, this is one of the trips where Amtrak is not an attractive travel option. The reason is that Cary NC to Toronto by train is a long, circuitous route that requires an overnight stay in New York each way. The train from Cary to NYC leaves just before 11am and arrives in New York just before 9pm. You will have to get a room or sleep over in the station because the one and only train from New York to Toronto does not leave until 7:15am the next morning and does not get to Toronto until nearly 9pm.

You will be traveling nearly 35 hours with an overnight in New York just to get from North Carolina to Toronto. The same timing is true in the opposite direction. Neither the train from Cary to New York or the train from New York to Toronto is among Amtrak’s best for either comfort or food (short distance equipment and snack foods), so this is simply not an ideal train ride for such a long trip. And the fare cannot even be priced on-line because the route requires an overnight connection, but it will be at least $214 round trip (Cary to Boston) and will probably approach $300.

My suggestion, and I will quickly take cover, is to drive or cab the five miles from Cary to RDU airport and take one of the three Air Canada non-stops to Toronto. For $300 RT you will get to Toronto in less than two hours. I would rather you take the plane for this trip and then take a more practical train trip later than have you force-fit Amtrak into this itinerary and then come back vowing to never ride a train again.

By the way, you do not need a passport to enter Canada (for now) and Canada does not require a entry visa for US citizens. But you will need positive proof of citizenship such as a birth certificate, military ID or voter card (driver’s license does not work). The best of all is a passport, so if you have one, take it.

PRR60,

I do tend to agree with you that this is one time that Amtrak might not be the best way to travel for this itinerary, since it does involve an overnight in NYC.

That said however, let me correct a few things. First, Carolina is traveling from Toronto to North Carolina. So basically she'll need to do everything in reverse of what you said, were she to fly to Cary from Toronto.

Secondly, it is possible to price this trip online at Amtrak's website. One only needs to plug in things to the Multi-city page. Upon doing so, one is presented with a non-discounted rate of $154 US for a one way trip.

Carolina,

While I do want to point out my post above, along with PRR60's, I will answer a few of your other questions here in this post.

While on board the train you should be fine and very safe. I would not suggest spending the night however in NY's Penn Station, should you decide to travel by train. Find a nearby hotel for the night.

Now traveling by train can be fun and it is certainly more relaxing than traveling by airplane. One can actually see the countryside one is passing through. However, this is a very long train ride you are considering. Even with an overnight in NY City, you will be spending the better part of two days on the train. That could be a bit much for a first time train traveler.

Yes, you can get up and walk around, visit the cafe car for meals and such, but still it's a long time in a train. That's especially true for the Toronto to NY leg, which does not use Amtrak's normal long distance coaches. That leg uses coaches that a really designed for shorter trips, under 5 to 6 hours. Last I knew the NY to Cary leg did use Amtrak's long distance cars, which are more comfortable for a journey over 6 hours.

If you have more specific questions, please don't hesitate to post them and we'll try to answer them for you. :)

Finally, you might want to check out On Track On Line's hints & tips.

AlanB said:
Carolina,
While I do want to point out my post above, along with PRR60's, I will answer a few of your other questions here in this post.

While on board the train you should be fine and very safe. I would not suggest spending the night however in NY's Penn Station, should you decide to travel by train. Find a nearby hotel for the night.

Now traveling by train can be fun and it is certainly more relaxing than traveling by airplane. One can actually see the countryside one is passing through. However, this is a very long train ride you are considering. Even with an overnight in NY City, you will be spending the better part of two days on the train. That could be a bit much for a first time train traveler.

Yes, you can get up and walk around, visit the cafe car for meals and such, but still it's a long time in a train. That's especially true for the Toronto to NY leg, which does not use Amtrak's normal long distance coaches. That leg uses coaches that a really designed for shorter trips, under 5 to 6 hours. Last I knew the NY to Cary leg did use Amtrak's long distance cars, which are more comfortable for a journey over 6 hours.

If you have more specific questions, please don't hesitate to post them and we'll try to answer them for you. :)

Finally, you might want to check out On Track On Line's hints & tips.
Hello,

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. As of being a long trip. No problem thats ok with me. But apart being safe. You say train shud be fine, but the Penn station. I mean their will be Security Guards and some lounges will be open overnite rite. So it shud not be a problem. Don't you think. Cuz I really don't want to go to a hotel for couple of hours and waste my money like that now. If I can pull it through the nite at the station. It seems a big train station. So it shud not be problem rite. Let me know thanks!!!

AmtrakFan said:
I think they throw you out of the building despite it opened 24 Hours.
No, they definately won't do that. With LIRR trains coming and going all night, New Jersey Transit trains that run most of the night, and the former Federals arriving between 1:30 and 3:00 AM, there are always people in the building.

As long as you don't look like a bum and you have a valid ticket, you will not get thrown out of the station.

Guest_Carolina said:
But apart being safe. You say train shud be fine, but the Penn station. I mean their will be Security Guards and some lounges will be open overnite rite. So it shud not be a problem. Don't you think. Cuz I really don't want to go to a hotel for couple of hours and waste my money like that now. If I can pull it through the nite at the station. It seems a big train station. So it shud not be problem rite. Let me know thanks!!!
I have to be honest, since I live in NYC, I've never tried to spend the night in the station. I just go home.

That said however, there will certainly be Amtrak policeman and other security around all night. I believe, but I'm not positive, that one waiting area remains open all night. It's an enclosed area, that you have to show a ticket to get into during normal hours.

I'll try to confirm with a few people that I know who have taken the late night Amtrak train that arrives at 2 in the morning if indeed that waiting area was open all night. It may take me a day or two to get an answer, so keep checking back here. :)

If that area is not open, you can still stay in the station, but laying down and trying to sleep might not be advisable.

Hopefully you are meeting someone at the 'station' here in Cary. Ground transportation is kind of limited, and the station in actuality is the atrium of a DMV office. No AMTRAK services are available here.

Cary is a beautiful family-planned community. It hides it's true size well. It is a bedroom town for Raleigh, and Research Triangle Park. It is a very safe area, as long as normal precautions are taken.

AlanB said:
AmtrakFan said:
I think they throw you out  of the building despite it opened 24 Hours.
No, they definately won't do that. With LIRR trains coming and going all night, New Jersey Transit trains that run most of the night, and the former Federals arriving between 1:30 and 3:00 AM, there are always people in the building.

As long as you don't look like a bum and you have a valid ticket, you will not get thrown out of the station.
Alan,

Sorry I didn't realize that in Chicago they do that at CUS. I've never tried it and never will but form what I hear they do.

AmtrakFan said:
AlanB said:
AmtrakFan said:
I think they throw you out  of the building despite it opened 24 Hours.

Alan,

Sorry I didn't realize that in Chicago they do that at CUS. I've never tried it and never will but form what I hear they do.
Yes, AmtrakFan, you are correct in Chicago they will indeed throw you out of Chicago Union station. In part because METRA, unlike the LIRR, does not run trains all night and Amtrak has no overnight trains.

But Penn Station NY does remain open all night.

I did an AMTRAK trip that took me through NYC as you are about to experience with a 'forced overnight', and not willing or wanting to spend the money for a hotel here are some suggestions that I found interesting:

Once the train stopped I headed straight away for the ...

EMPIRE STATE BUILDING and stood in line for about 45 minutes to see the view from the top, Manhattan lit up at night.

OR!... if you get there early enough in the evening head for ROCKEFELLER PLAZA and see the CHRISTMAS TREE and the TOP OF THE ROCK (opened November 1). The Top of the Rock delivers the most spectacular views of New York City from the newly renovated observation deck atop 30 Rockefeller Plaza, 70 stories in the sky. Visit the ticketing office on 50th Street between Rockefeller Plaza and 6th Avenue or go online to and purchase your tickets.

There is a HOWARD JOHNSONS on Times Square, a lovely American throwback to experience a piece of hot apple pie a-la mode and coffee at the counter and watch the world go by.

CARNEGIE DELI at 854 7th Avenue (at 55th Street) has been featured on the FOOD NETWORK and THE TRAVEL CHANNEL and makes ENOURMOUS SANDWICHES and are a bit expensive but will take you a day to eat them.

A night ride on the STATEN ISLAND FERRY past the Statue of Liberty... and its free.

This will make the time go by...

Now that I have your travel direction correct, one other option that would limit your stay at New York and give you a reasonably comfy sleeping location is to take the middle of the night train from New York to Washington. Here is how it would work:

Amtrak Train 64 Leave Toronto 8:30am Arrive New York 9:45pm

Hang out in New York until 3:00am, then:

Amtrak Train 74 Leave New York 3:00am Arrive Washington 7:00am

(You can catch some sleep on this train in a nice, roomy reclining seat. Much better than spending four hours at Penn Station in the middle of the night.)

Hang out at Washington until 10:55am (lots of things to do at that time of day), then:

Amtrak Train 79, Leave Washington 10:55am, Arrive Cary 4:54pm

The cost of this three-train trip is the same as just booking two trains.

dmwnc1959 said:
There is a HOWARD JOHNSONS on Times Square, a lovely American throwback to experience a piece of hot apple pie a-la mode and coffee at the counter and watch the world go by.
Sadly, not anymore. It closed forever last spring. :(

PRR 60 said:
Now that I have your travel direction correct, one other option that would limit your stay at New York and give you a reasonably comfy sleeping location is to take the middle of the night train from New York to Washington. Here is how it would work:
Amtrak Train 64 Leave Toronto 8:30am Arrive New York 9:45pm

Hang out in New York until 3:00am, then:

Amtrak Train 74 Leave New York 3:00am Arrive Washington 7:00am

(You can catch some sleep on this train in a nice, roomy reclining seat. Much better than spending four hours at Penn Station in the middle of the night.)

Hang out at Washington until 10:55am (lots of things to do at that time of day), then:

Amtrak Train 79, Leave Washington 10:55am, Arrive Cary 4:54pm

The cost of this three-train trip is the same as just booking two trains.
PRR60,

What a great idea and one that I should have thought of myself. I was too busy just answering the questions asked and even though I mentioned that train's arrival at Penn, it simply never occured to me to suggest boarding that train.

Carolina, if you don't already have your tickets, I would highly recommend PRR's suggestion. :)

I do not think that it would be a waste of money to go across the street to the Hotel Pennsylvania and spend the night. No matter how much security there is, spending the night in a train station, with one's luggage, is simply not advisable. Plus, one can get a shower, so one does not need to arrive at one's destination full of pungent glee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back