First time on CZ, and first in a roomette - have questions :)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyJourneys

Train Attendant
Hi everyone,

I've booked a roomette on the California Zephyr #5 on a Monday in mid-May and have some questions:

- The cost of my roomette/upgrade was $465 total. I was expecting it to be more, so this is great, but now I'm worrying that maybe there's something undesirable about traveling on a Monday and that's why it's so low. Please reassure me that I'm worrying for nothing. (But only if I'm actually worrying for nothing.)

- Right now I plan on going solo. If I decide to bring someone with me at the last minute, can I add that person to my roomette? (I know they'll only pay the coach price, but was wondering how (or if I need to) inform Amtrak that there will be a second person in the roomette.)

- I've been assigned to roomette #11, and since this is my first sleeper experience, I don't mind trying the lower level first. My concern is the potential noise of passengers boarding the train during the night. If I'm a light sleeper, should I call to request an upper level roomette? (Can I even get it switched once it's assigned?)

- Ummm... I thought I had another question, and it'll probably eventually come to me, but until then - thank you in advance for your help! I've visited this forum before, but just joined today and this is my first post. :)

Okay, carry on! :)

No need to be concerned about any of this. If you would rather ride the upper level, call Amtrak and request it. I rather like the lower level myself. Adding a passenger to your room should be easy, but it may make a difference in the fare if you do so at the last minute.

If you do decide to call and try to get an upper level room, tell them you want to MODIFY your reservation. Do NOT let them cancel and rebook. If the agent doesn't know how to make the move without affecting price you already paid, have them ask a supervisor for instructions.

I believe, to add someone later, they would need to buy an "open sleeper" ticket at the lowest rail fare. Can't remember if you can have that ticket "added" to your reservation, or not. But it will allow them to join you in your room.

See... I knew I had another question:

If I reserved my ticket to be dropped off at the Ferry Building, but later choose a hotel closer to the Fisherman's Wharf drop-out, can I change it without affecting the price? Or can I just stay on the bus instead of getting off at the Ferry Building (assuming the same bus goes to all the stops)?

Welcome to AU, the Best Forum on the Net!

The drivers on the Ambuses that cross the Bay Bridge are very friendly and professional, just tell them you'd like to get off @ a different stop if you change your mind, same price!! IINM Amtrak is moving from the Ferry Terminal to a different stop soon but not sure just when?

If you call to Modify/Not Cancel your reservation ( as Amtrak Blue said) just tell the agent you'd like an Upstairs room, they run from #2-#10 with #2-#5 consideted the most desirable due to being in the middle of the car but the others are OK.Not all agents know how to modify a rez without charging you more,( the sooner you do it the better!) but you shouldn't have to pay more as long as ones available, just ask for a Supervisor if this happens!

As for the Monday thing, except after Holiday and Special periods like Spring Break etc., there is a lighter passenger load so the prices tend to be lower. (called Low bucket!)

This is a great trip, please read the trip reports and threads on here about the Zephyr Route and ask any questions you may have, we like to help and share other folks trips!

Thanks so much to all of you. I need to upload a photo soon so I don't look so "stalker-ish." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back