family bedrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midland Valley

Lead Service Attendant
We are planning to take a trip to Charleston WV in December. Our plan is to take the SWC from Hutchinson, Ks coach to Chicago and two viewliner roometts to Charleston. Returning, get coach to Chicago and either two roometts on the SWC or a family bedroom, (there are four of us this time).

We have been in economy (superliner roometts) and bedrooms before but always on the upper level. If we get a family bedroom, is there a marked increase in noise and vibration, or would we be better off getting two roometts and stick with what we have already experienced?

I've been in a family bedroom twice, and downstairs in a standard, now roomette, once.

There is a bit more noise downstairs, but I personally didn't think that the noise level was that much higher than it was upstairs. Certainly it wasn't any higher than what one will encounter in a Viewliner. Being downstairs however means less people walking by your room, potentially waking you up earlier than you might want.

The family room also offers the ability to look out both sides of the train, one of only two rooms per Superliner sleeper that allows that. Of course being lower cuts down on the view, but then that's what Sightseer Lounges are for anyhow. :p

Maybe it was just the track but it seemed like the Family Bedroom was VERY rough on a recent trip on the Auto Train.

The room is spacious though.

Jon

I personally haven't ridden in the Family Bedroom, but I have been in room 12 which is just one room away from F/15, and I felt like it was no noisier than usual (compared to a Viewliner or Amfleet). I slept like a rock once I got to sleep (and actually fell asleep faster than usual for a train ride). If the family room is cheaper than the two roomettes and you're traveling with kids, go for the family room.

The noise level is slightly higher in the downstairs rooms, however it's not enough to keep me from canceling my room. The thing that I really hate about the rooms downstairs is all the noise that usually takes place if passengers are getting on or off in the middle of the night in that car. Remember that the door letting you on and off the train is about 10 feet from your room. People tend to talk and get loud with the luggage when getting on or off the train.

amtrakmichigan said:
People tend to talk and get loud with the luggage when getting on or off the train.
I've found that people walking in the hall can be loud, regardless of whether they are on the upper level or the lower level. However IMHO based upon my 30,000 miles or so in LD trains, there tends to be more people noise on the upper level than on the lower level.

amtrakmichigan said:
The noise level is slightly higher in the downstairs rooms, however it's not enough to keep me from canceling my room. The thing that I really hate about the rooms downstairs is all the noise that usually takes place if passengers are getting on or off in the middle of the night in that car. Remember that the door letting you on and off the train is about 10 feet from your room. People tend to talk and get loud with the luggage when getting on or off the train.
Well, the good news for us is we are probably going to be some of the earliest ones getting off the west bound Chief since arrival in Hutchinson, Ks is 4:00 AM. We are aware of the issue of being as quiet as possible for others sake. It is easy to forget that there are passengers down there.

The two roometts are $50.00 cheaper than the family bedroom. I guess togetherness can step aside for good financial stewardship, although I think it would be great to have the two windows. Still the boys would be a little cramped in the short beds as they are both taller than the beds are long.

Midland Valley said:
The two roometts are $50.00 cheaper than the family bedroom. I guess togetherness can step aside for good financial stewardship, although I think it would be great to have the two windows. Still the boys would be a little cramped in the short beds as they are both taller than the beds are long.
In that case I'd opt for the two roomette's. No point in squishing the boys into the shorter beds, if the roomette option is cheaper.

And if you call up Amtrak to make the reservation, then you can ask for rooms that are opposite one another and still be able to look out both sides of the train.

The windows are bigger in the roomettes, and thus I feel they are better to look out of. With luck, you might get a roomette on each side of the train, and thus take advantage of the views on boths sides. :D

Steve4031 said:
The windows are bigger in the roomettes, and thus I feel they are better to look out of.  With luck, you might get a roomette on each side of the train, and thus take advantage of the views on boths sides.   :D
It's not that the window is actually bigger; it's the fact that bedrooms and roomette's feature a double paned window, two windows side by side, while the family room has a single paned window.

Technically all rooms have the same number of windows, the difference is that the family room and the handicapped room have a window on each side of the train, while the bedroom's and roomette's have a double window only on one side of the train.

I have done that while traveling alone when the person across the isle shares his window. What is really neat is when there is no one in the other room and you can cross back and forth. Anyway this has been good and fun advice. Thanks to everyone. The reasons we like to go sleeping car on the home strech from chicago is, A. Use of the Metropolitan Lounge; the general waiting room in Chicago is like the old Union stock yards. B. There is nothing better than a relaxing family meal in the dinning car topped off with apple pie with ice cream. (and for us thats going to eat up about $80-90 plus tip. C. Five or so hours of good sleep.

Back