"Exceptional" Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

George K

Conductor
Rode three trains last week:

1) CL - CHI to WAS

2) Acela - WAS to BOS

3) LSL - BOS to CHI

Service on all three trains was really good - attentive SCAs, good service at meals, etc.

Got me to thinking about tips (I know, I know). People have suggested various amounts to tip staff on the train. I tend to tip 20% for meals (as I would in a restaurant), but for the SCAs, it's a bit more difficult.

I would expect the SCA to turn down and make beds at a reasonable time (or when I request), and have coffee available in the morning hours. That seems like part of the job, after all.

So, what constitutes, "good" or "exceptional" service which would warrant a larger tip?

For me, my standard tip for an reasonably good SCA who is pretty much available and does what they are supposed to do is $10/night. If they start ordering me around ("I will make up the beds at 8pm") or pull a major disappearing act, it will be less ($5 or $0). I will go up to $20/night if they are really good and proactive (coming around occasionally and asking if I need anything, really responsive, etc).

That is just me.

I had one SCA (not last week) tell me that s/he turns in at 10PM and won't be available after that. That was a bit off-putting. Granted, they need their sleep, and I certainly don't begrudge them that (and I'm saying that as someone who's spent countless nights awake doing my job).

Last week, I asked one SCA if they got any sleep, and the response was "I closed my eyes". I felt for the guy.

But it just struck me as a "don't bother me unless you're bleeding to death" type of comment to say "I'm going to bed". I've bothered the SCA "after hours" exactly zero times in my trips.

I tend to agree with Zephyr. I do wish that I had give Kathy on the Sunset several months ago a 20 instead of 10. She was great and had a harrowing night with the stupid bomb scare in San Antonio. I would be pleased to travel with her anytime.

Glad to hear you had a good trip. The news is often discouraging these days.

I tend to agree with Zephyr. I do wish that I had give Kathy on the Sunset several months ago a 20 instead of 10. She was great and had a harrowing night with the stupid bomb scare in San Antonio. I would be pleased to travel with her anytime.

Glad to hear you had a good trip. The news is often discouraging these days.
I had Kathy on my recent SL trip. She is amongst the best I have ever had. The toilets in our car stopped working and she did everything she could to get them working. When she couldn't reset them herself she made sure the conductor knew about it and saw to it technicians were on hand at our next stop to fix them. When that failed to work too she made it clear she was going to report the problem in the car. I have on more than one occasion had car attendants who acted as if they could care less and did nothing to help or even mention the problem.

It's funny on my regular trains the SCAs know I work ex amtrak PVs. So I get a knock on the door when something breaks to try and fix it.

What did y'all think of the Acela FC expierence George? In your opinion, was it worth the Upgrade to FC?

Glad you had good service, what about the food and amenities? Sadly these things seemly are becoming hit or miss things on Amtrak trains!

I am a $10/person/day guy provided good service is provided. A month ago on #5 I tipped $20 when I got on and $20 when I got off in SLC to Robert who was a very good SCA and helped a lot on the late detraining at SLC - way past his bedtime (almost midnight when we arrived) . On our return we had Debbie Caldwell on #6 and she is the BEST SCA I have ever had. She got $20 when we got on and $30 when we got off. I am not kidding, you could eat in the restrooms, she got us a meal,, and made the bunks when we asked. She was there at 5 AM when we got on with a smile on her face ,,,,, It doesn't get better than this and her 33 years of experience shows in the performance of her duties,,,,

I gave Vivian $15 on my MIA-NYP trip recently. I'm also a $10-a-night person, but Vivian was very attentive and stayed in the car the whole trip. She made it a point of saying so, too, because the ones that "go elsewhere" are not always available. She was, and she was good. I also emailed Amtrak to tell them about my impressions. That might be worth more than the tip; who knows?

I had one SCA (not last week) tell me that s/he turns in at 10PM and won't be available after that. That was a bit off-putting. Granted, they need their sleep, and I certainly don't begrudge them that (and I'm saying that as someone who's spent countless nights awake doing my job).

Last week, I asked one SCA if they got any sleep, and the response was "I closed my eyes". I felt for the guy.

But it just struck me as a "don't bother me unless you're bleeding to death" type of comment to say "I'm going to bed". I've bothered the SCA "after hours" exactly zero times in my trips.
Why is the standard for SCAs so inconsistent?

Why is the standard for SCAs so inconsistent?
Because the less-than-good ones can get away with it. Likely costs them tips, but apparently doesn't threaten their jobs.

What did y'all think of the Acela FC expierence George? In your opinion, was it worth the Upgrade to FC?
There were two of us traveling, D4 and I. I had a companion coupon for her, so I upgraded both tix to 1st Class - the cost wasn't prohibitive, and considering meals and drinks were included, it was worth it. This, particularly because I doubt I'll ever get to do it again (I live in Chicago, and no plans to return to the NEC). Really liked the personalized treatment from the staff, and the attentiveness to comfort, etc made it worthwhile.

Glad you had good service, what about the food and amenities? Sadly these things seemly are becoming hit or miss things on Amtrak trains!
Breakfast was quite good, seats were comfy, and lunch was okay. Not great, but certainly not bad. It was okay (Moroccan Chicken). It was a nice change from the standard LD train fare.

Have taken many long distance trips and mostly get a bedroom. A run of the mill SCA who does a decent job gets $10 a night from me. Im pretty self sufficient and don't require much. I ask for extra blanket and then go over when I'd like the bed turned down and hit the call button in the morning to have room made up. If call button inoperative I find the SCA on way to breakfast. I have however had some pretty terrific SCA's and increase the tip accordingly. A Silver Service SCA greeted me in West Palm Beach not long ago with a cold glass of orange juice on a 10am ish boarding. Just a nice touch. On the CZ this summer my SCA emptied the trash each day, vacuumed my room and made sure I had ice for beverages. I kept my room organized just because I knew she was coming in to clean. Ha!

On my very first Amtrak "Adventure", Nov '14 I boarded the Capitol Limited (sorry all you veteran members, I don't know all the abbreviations,..... yet :huh: ) at Pittsburgh, just past midnight. I had bedroom "C" on my ticket. Open the door and it's occupied. Try to find the Sleeper Attendant, finally get her and she tells me "Just use this one", bedroom "B". Open the door and it's obvious someone has been used recently. Sheet is in a rolled-up ball on the bed. I look at her and say, "This room looks occupied". She goes over, straightens the sheet and leaves. Later, I notice trash in receptacle, used soap, blah, blah. Next morning we're running late. I get breakfast in dining car, admire REAL CHINA and think "That's nice", not understanding I'll never see real china ever again. Glad to have experienced it, at least once. Train running later and later into Chicago. I need to make the Texas train by 1:00P.M. something. We get into Chicago 12:45, a full 4 hours+ after schedule. I'm disabled, not fully, but could use help getting the big piece of luggage down the stairs. No help getting it up, Conductor "rescued" me half way up when boarding in Pittsburgh, at midnight but Sleeping Attendant has not been seen since boarding last night. In the "panic" of being so late arriving .....and Texas train boarding call being announced ....... and I have no idea where I am in relation to, where to go or how to get there, the Texas train ..... and the help I had read was available, (Red Caps) according to Amtrak Web-site, were no where to be found (I was actually looking for a uniformed person wearing a RED HAT, (CAP) the Sleeping Car woman "magically" appears, grabs one of my bags and disappears. I follow, as best I can, get off the train and head in the direction everyone else is moving, which at least looks to be inside a building. I find my way to Texas train boarding area only 10 minutes before scheduled departure when I realize I've left my leather bomber jacket hanging on the toilet door in the sleeping car bedroom. Woman checking tickets for Texas train tells me no time to go back, I can pick it up in lost & found next time I'm in Chicago or they will send it along to Dallas on next train, just call lost and found in Chicago (writes phone # on back of ticket) when I get to Dallas as they won't hold the train so I board without my jacket.

Texas train to Dallas is okay going South, no problems, get to Dallas, call lost & found in Chicago, no jacket but they tell me to keep calling, sometimes things take weeks to show up. Sinking feeling sets in. Just "know" I'll never see jacket again. Had that thing since returning from Vietnam..........

Texas train heading North was another matter. Boarding, Sleeper Attendant "Announces", "I go to bed at 10:00P.M., don't bother me for ANYTHING. (emphasizes loudly) after that. However, I do give him credit for keeping the coffee going after 11:00A.M., (he tells me new Amtrak rules...no free coffee after 11:00A.M.) and provides bottles of water if you ask him, (says, "I don't put it out because people use it all up"). :unsure: :blink: :huh: ???

Get home and Amtrak has sent me an e-mail, noting this is my first time using Amtrak (How do THEY know that, first-time ??? kinda, sorta creeps me out) apologizing for the 4+ hour delay into Chicago and would it influence my choice on using Amtrak in the future?

So, first time Long Distance round trip with Amtrak, total 6 Sleeper Attendants;

1 very bad, ...1 arrogant, shirking duty? and a bit odd? ....4 no particular memory of..not good, not bad, just there, sometimes.....

And big THANKS to all who posted before. Helps me big-time to read about others experiences, about tipping and what others feel about service "Standards".

Heading out to Portland, OR late October. Taking Capitol Limited out of Washington, DC...will NOT do that midnight boarding at Pittsburgh ever again :eek: .

One last look for my cherished jacket in Washington, DC lost & found. Gave up on calling. Not holding my breath but, "Hope Springs Eternal"

Just out of interest, does anyone tip a steward(less) on an airline and if not why not? When I travelled across the USA earlier this year I did tip the attendants and the dining staff but then I wondered if they were not paid a decent wage by Amtrak. If you go into a bar/restaurant in New York, you know that the waiting staff are probably paid minimum wage and need tips to survive, but I thought Amtrak staff are unionised and paid quite well. I do know that airline staff are paid less well than they used to be so just wondered if they were tipped in the USA.

Just out of interest, does anyone tip a steward(less) on an airline and if not why not? When I travelled across the USA earlier this year I did tip the attendants and the dining staff but then I wondered if they were not paid a decent wage by Amtrak. If you go into a bar/restaurant in New York, you know that the waiting staff are probably paid minimum wage and need tips to survive, but I thought Amtrak staff are unionised and paid quite well. I do know that airline staff are paid less well than they used to be so just wondered if they were tipped in the USA.
No, flight attendants are not tipped. Amtrak is unionized and does pay a decent wage with benefits, but onboard service crews have historically been tipped and still are. It may appear inconsistent, but that is how it is.

I tipped one of my last stewardesses on Luftansa last time. She was exceptional and really paid close attention to us. She was riding facing us for take off and landing. And we had a good time talking to her. Then she took Polaroid photos of us for a gift on the airlines camera. Even though it wasn't our birthday. And then she took us special food instead of the normal garbage. And she gave us the Premium Economy gift even though we were just exit row economy. (We had more leg room). She didn't keep the tip. She said she would donate it to the LH charity. But none the less

Got me to thinking about tips (I know, I know). People have suggested various amounts to tip staff on the train. I tend to tip 20% for meals (as I would in a restaurant), but for the SCAs, it's a bit more difficult.

I would expect the SCA to turn down and make beds at a reasonable time (or when I request), and have coffee available in the morning hours. That seems like part of the job, after all.

So, what constitutes, "good" or "exceptional" service which would warrant a larger tip?
The SCA who, on his own initiative, went to the dining car and found the labels for the packages so we could check them for our allergies and figure out what we could eat for breakfast -- THAT was exceptional service. I'd actually told him "We can't figure out what's in the food, so we can't have breakfast." He found out what was in the food, we checked it, ordered breakfast, and got it in our roomette.

I don't remember how much I gave him, but it was at least $20. Really above-and-beyond.

On the bad side? I had an SCA who asked us when we wanted our beds made, and specified that we had to pick a time between 5 and 9 (IIRC). So we said 6. Great. Come 6, she was nowhere to be seen. Come 6:30, I found her in the dining car and chewed her out. She refused to make the beds saying that she had to have her dinner. Eventually she came and made the beds at 7:30, I think. She got NO tip, because she didn't do her ******* job. If she'd said "I can't make the beds between 6 and 7:30 because I'm eating", hey, I could have told her to make the bed at 5. But noooo, she asked us, agreed to make the bed at a particular time, and then didn't, which is just rude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back