Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tyler Winkelman

Hi. Im travelling westbound on the Empire Builder on Oct. 10 out of Portage WI, then south on the Coast Starlight from Portland on the 12. I was wondering if a four hour cushion will give me enough time to catch the Starlight. Should I have a backup plan? Also, will their be enough light to view the rockies in Montana? Thanks for the help.

Tyler Winkelman.

I think you should be ok. the Empire Builder has usually been one of the more punctual trains, due in part to the cooperation of the landlord railroads, Canadian Pacific (east of St. Paul) and Burlington Northern (St. Paul-Seattle). Unfortunatley, by the time you get to western Montana, it may be too late for veiwing the scenery.

The Starlight, OTOH, runs over the Union Pacific RR. The Union Pacific, through its actions, has made it very clear that they don't want Amtrak or any other passenger service provider operating trains over their tracks. One way of showing this contempt and hostility is to use even the smallest escuse to delay Amtrak when it is on UPRR rails.

In other words, one of the factors that can affect your trip is the landlord RR company. Some have a cooperative attitude regarding Amtrak (example: BNSF) while others have the opposite extreme (example: UPRR).

Shucks. I really was looking forward to seeing Glacier NP from the confines of the Sightseer lounge. I guess I'll have to take the Builder eastbound next time. Do you think their will be any color left in the trees being this late in the year? Boy I hope so.

I am aware of that Union Pacifics priorities are a little screwy. I have been a railfan my whole life (im 18 by the way) and I've spent many years along the UP and on the Coast Starlight. Earlier this year I was 6 or more (i never actually got the time) hours late from LAX to Emeryville and forced me to sleep outside the station in cold and rainy conditions with a homeless guy that just wouldn't stop talking. Anyway, I hoping Union Pacific dispatchers will treat us a little better this time around. I haven't ridden the Builder in nearly eight years and wasn't sure how reliable the train is. Once again thanks for the help.

Tyler Winkelman

Yea, at that time of the year you will be out of luck. During the summer, you can still clearly see the rockies for about an hour (even if your running a bit late).

The Coast Starlight finally seems to be running regularly--no more 10-12 hour delays. At least, let's hope so. Usually, the Starlight is pretty punctual southbound--though it can be an hour or so late. That should not affect connections from the Builder. But, suppose there is a derailment or something on the Builder line; that could create a significant delay. You might want to have a backup plan to stay overnight in Portland just in case. North/eastbound, I would ALWAYS plan to stay over night in Portland (or Seattle).

This time of year, it is getting tricky in terms of hour much daylight you will have passing though Glacier, which would be about 7pm. You may get the sunet and its colors on the surrounding mountains, perhaps silhouettes of mountains, and such. On a night like tonight, you might have the full moon, which will help with illuminting some of the landscapes, and perhaps the rivers.

Lets just hope/pray the Builder won't be more than 4 hours late. I had just ordered the tickets. I can't wait till the tenth!!! Thanks for all the help!

The Builder... more than four hours late? Nah, hardly ever. I wouldn't even worry about it. The StarLATE though? Count on that to be around four hours late if you are lucky (although it has been doing somewhat better since Labor Day).

Back