Empire Builder service disruption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwestern

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
As of this morning, I should have been in Whitefish, Montana, coming in on the Empire Builder from Portland. However, I'm at my home here in Santa Rosa.

I started out in Martinez, Calif. on the Coast Starlight on Sunday evening. The train was 2 hours late into Martinez. I had a bedroom booked, and when I entered the bedroom it was like stepping into a freezer. The room was so cold I had to sleep with my clothes on, with 2 blankets over me. I didn't sleep very well.

The next day, I spent the night at a Portland downtown hotel, but I was still tired in the morning. Early yesterday morning, I got a text message, on my cell phone, that said the Empire Builder for Whitefish has been cancelled. I don't know just why, the message said something about that some "necessary equipment" to allow the Builder to depart, was arriving late and the EB couldn't leave until the equipment arrived. The message did say passengers would be bused from Portland to Spokane , then they would pick up another Amtrak train from Spokane to Whitefish. I had no desire to take an eight hour bus ride form Portland to Spokane, and then transfer to the train during the midnight hour. I took an afternoon flight from Portland to Santa Rosa to get back home.

I don't expect even a partial refund, from Amtrak, as I did have the ability to travel to Whitefish, even though only half the trip was by train. My lodge, in Whitefish, is deliberating about the possibility to give ma a partial or any refund. I'll bet they will say that if I had chosen the bustitute I could have made it to Whitefish. I booked 3 days at the Whitefish lodge so a small refund or no refund will cost me.

I haven't quite joined the "never again" crowd, but I am close to that type of thinking.

Richard

As of this morning, I should have been in Whitefish, Montana, coming in on the Empire Builder from Portland. However, I'm at my home here in Santa Rosa.

I started out in Martinez, Calif. on the Coast Starlight on Sunday evening. The train was 2 hours late into Martinez. I had a bedroom booked, and when I entered the bedroom it was like stepping into a freezer. The room was so cold I had to sleep with my clothes on, with 2 blankets over me. I didn't sleep very well.

The next day, I spent the night at a Portland downtown hotel, but I was still tired in the morning. Early yesterday morning, I got a text message, on my cell phone, that said the Empire Builder for Whitefish has been cancelled. I don't know just why, the message said something about that some "necessary equipment" to allow the Builder to depart, was arriving late and the EB couldn't leave until the equipment arrived. The message did say passengers would be bused from Portland to Spokane , then they would pick up another Amtrak train from Spokane to Whitefish. I had no desire to take an eight hour bus ride form Portland to Spokane, and then transfer to the train during the midnight hour. I took an afternoon flight from Portland to Santa Rosa to get back home.

I don't expect even a partial refund, from Amtrak, as I did have the ability to travel to Whitefish, even though only half the trip was by train. My lodge, in Whitefish, is deliberating about the possibility to give ma a partial or any refund. I'll bet they will say that if I had chosen the bustitute I could have made it to Whitefish. I booked 3 days at the Whitefish lodge so a small refund or no refund will cost me.

I haven't quite joined the "never again" crowd, but I am close to that type of thinking.

Richard
This one isn't Amtraks fault, but I wouldn't give up on getting a Travel Voucher from Amtrak!

Give Customer Relations a Call, they're very helpful in cases like this!( be prepared to be on Hold for awhile, like all Customer oriented Companies, Amtrak is short of help)

I sent Amtrak an e-mail about the situation. I hate to call them because, as you mention, of the long wait and problem, sometimes, understanding the person on the other end of the line. I said I didn't expect much of a refund, but a small refund would be appreciate. I got an email with very good news from the lodge in Whitefish. They did grant me a partial refund that is much more generous than I expected.

I sent Amtrak an e-mail about the situation. I hate to call them because, as you mention, of the long wait and problem, sometimes, understanding the person on the other end of the line. I said I didn't expect much of a refund, but a small refund would be appreciate. I got an email with very good news from the lodge in Whitefish. They did grant me a partial refund that is much more generous than I expected.
As long as you cancelled and were not a no show, you stand a very good chance of getting all or a large part of your PDX-WFH fare refunded by contacting Customer Relations. Amtrak policy for those denied use of sleeping accommodations, which a bus is, is to waive cancellation fees and penalties.

Also, unfortunately Amtrak is somewhat notorious for not responding to emails. The best course is to invest the time to call and ask for Customer Relations.

Historically, Amtrak has been very generous about waiving fees and penalties in event of service disruptions, especially through Customer Relations. I do not how you jumped to the the conclusion they would not be, your assumptions are largely unwarranted.

Back