Emeryville station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_seajay

I sent this yesterday but it apparently got lost in the change to the new system. I apologize if the original post pops up again.

Does anyone know how far the Emeryville, CA station is from Powell Street? More specifically, I'm wondering how far it is from the station to the Sheraton Four Points Hotel on Powell.

seajay

Actually I responded to it yesterday. If you mean Powell Street in San Francisco itself, then it is across the Bay Bridge from Emervyille, about 10 miles. Per the current Amtrak timetable, showing the bus connections with the trains, to get people across the Bay into the city proper. Powell Street begins probably pretty close to the S.F. Shopping Center, shown in timetable.

There is a Powell Street in Emeryville. At least, that's the address I have for the Sheraton Four Points that's listed as being in Emeryville.

seajay

Sorry for jumping in when I didn't know what I was talking about Seajay. The Powell stret in SF is well known---that is what I was thinking of.

Viewliner, thanks for that information. I should have done that myself. Anyway, it seems that those directions take a very round-about way to get from the station to the hotel. If you just go down Landregan from the station and then down Powell to the hotel, it looks to be only about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile. Maybe Mapquest gets some kind of kickback from the local taxi services. :lol:

seajay

Well those map programs are not infalable. However, it's also possible that they are taking into account one-way streets. After all they are giving you driving instructions, not walking instructions. :) So as long as you are not disoriented by all those cars flying at you :eek: , it would work.

I suppose that it could also be that Powell is having some construction project by the tracks.

So, how are the Emeryville cops? I hope I don't get cited for walking the wrong way down a one-way street! :lol:

seajay

Seejay,

You got me! ;) I'm not even sure if it is a one way street, since I've never been there, it was just one plausable explanation for the odd map-quest directions.

Alan, I'm just being silly! I guess I'm just a little giddy knowing that my trip is coming up next week. If I'm walking the wrong way down a one-way street and see a cop, I'll just turn around and walk backwards. He'll never suspect a thing! :lol:

(Man, I REALLY need a break!!)

seajay

Emeryville cops are allright, they'll only ticket you if you're walking the wrong way down certain one way streets :D . Seriously though, Powell Street is the overpass just south of the station and is the major east west street in the city. Shouldn't be more than two or three blocks down from the station. From the station just walk through the building, go out to the street, turn right and walk until you hit the main road (Powell). The hotel should be on the corner of Landergan and Powell. I'll double check that when I go through there tonight.

The cops in my city are happy, our Dunkin donuts population is doubling from 2 to 4, since two Baskin Robins stores are adding Dunkin donuts to thier roster of foods.

I wish we had Dunkin Donuts out here in CA. All I can get is Krispy Kreme and although I ate them all through my 4 years as an undergrad (in AL) they cannot make a creme filled donut worth anything. I need a Dunkin Boston Creme. :D

Emeryville is a very small city (1.2 square miles). If you have time to kill Trader Vic's restaurant (originator of the Mai Tai) is in the Emeryville Marina at the west end of Powell Street. It's also a very good (Zagat rated) restaurant.

I should have said I only like the glazed ones hot. I could tell a story about that but I'll refrain not rail related :D

In my opinion, Krispy Kreme donuts are way over-rated. They're very good but not really worth all the hype they get. Before they were so easily found all over the country, they were unique and almost a "cult item". Kind of like Coors beer used to be when you couldn't get any anyplace but Colorado.

Okay, this isn't totally rail-related but I'm sure I ate a donut on a train once and I know I had a beer on a train at least once. So, see, it does kind of make it rail-related.

Sort of.

Well...

:lol:

Aloha

All this talk about Emeryville Station, etc.

Does anyone know of a cheep, but safe hotel nere it? I will be arriving around 10:00pm on the Coast Starlight, connecting the next morning with the California Zepher. If the station Were open I would just Stay in the Waiting Room.

I don't know about cheap in the Bay Area but any of the hotels in the immediate area of the Emeryville Amtrak station are safe (Courtyard by Marriott or the Holiday Inn). Also you can consider the Marriott in Downtown Oakland which would be a 10 minute cab ride from Emeryville Station or you can stay at the Jack London Inn at Jack London Square in Oakland which is a couple of blocks from the Amtrak Station at Oakland Jack London Square. I believe there is a bus connection between OKJ and EMY, or you cna take a Capitol Corridor or San Joaquin train between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back