ELT to CHI and much more about my trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjibear

Conductor
I departed on 6/8/13 from the Elizabethtown station. The train arrived a few minutes late but it wasn't too bad. I got on and was disapointed that the Pennsylvanian had an Amfleet I coach with the tighter distance between seats. It hadn't bothered me because being the first time on this routed, I wanted to check out the sites and look out the window. I chose a seat on the left and was the only occupant for the entire trip.

The Pennsylvanian arrived in Pittsburgh at least a half hour early which I was presently surprised. I hurried and checked my large suitcase for Chicago and had them hold my carry on so I could explore.

I walked out of the station and headed towards the Steel Plaze light rail station. That part of Pittsburgh at night was empty and it it gave me a little uneasy feeling. At the station it was unclear on how you pay but soon a local arrived and told me you pay when you get off. So I took the light rail to station square. I then found out you need exact change which I didn't have so I had to pay more then what I would have and later found out I should have purchased a transfer to the incline where I went next.

On top of the encline I walked around checking out the views at Sunset and then heading to a local place for dinner. I can't rememeber the name but it was good but nothing spectacular. I headed back down the incline but learned at the top about buying the transfer. However, they didn't even check my transfer on the lightrail. Other than being confused on how to pay (which really is an issue with all mass trasnit to the new timer), I thought the lightrail in Pittsburgh was clean and safe.

This time I got off at Wood St which had alot more activity. I walked around a little and headed back to the station. Overall I like Pittsburgh, felt safe, and would say that it was much cleaner then our other large city Philadelphia.

I got back to the station at about 11:15, picked up my carry on and waited for the CL. It arrived on time and we boarded quickly. We left Pittsburgh about on time.

Somewhere during the night, we had stopped somewhere in Ohio. Next thing I noticed is we were going backwards. There was an issue ahead and we had to change tracks. We lost about an hour getting us into Chicago late.

Upon arriving in Chicago I had a rental car at Hertz. Oh boy it was terrible. Bad staff, out of the size car I wanted, billing issues, etc. will make me avoid doing bussiness with Hertz again.

I did get a car and headed to the Illinois Railway Museum. I was somewhat impressed with the size of the place and would recomend.

After that I checked into my hotel and spent the next couple of days at the Conference at McCromick Place. That place is huge and very spread out.

However, while in Chicago I did ride the subway and the L which was typical of most I have been on. Where I was extremly dispointed was with Metra. The two rides I took, the equipment was dirty (couldn't even see out the windows) and just run down. People complain about SEPTA in Philly but Metra was much worse.

I did also check out the Museum of Science and Industry for about 4 hours. Rushing through, I could have had a little more time but I needed to catch my train home.

The crowds at rush time in Union Station was unbelievable. I felt I was going to be knocked down several times because everyone is in a hurry and there were so many people.

The CL left about on time and we arrived in Pittsburgh about on time. I had dinner on the CL which was OK, nothing great. In Pittsburgh it was raining so I decided to just hang out in the station instead of finding breakfast. Anyway, it seamed that they were not holding bags at that time but I didn't really ask either.

We left Pittsburgh on time. There was a NYC private varnish on the end. We did get delayed between Pittsburgh and Greenville and had to back up to avoid a stalled freight train. I arrived back in Elizabethtown about an hour late.

:hi: Sounds like a pretty nice trip except for the Rent Car and the Cattle Stampede in Union Station! I want to go to Pittsburgh and see the New Baseball Stadium, it looks really nice on TV! The Pittsburgh Station is a Dungeon, a Major City deserves Better but look @ NYP!!! :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back