eb trip report october 2008 spk-chi-spk

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yarrow

Engineer
far ne washington state, 1/2 mile from canada
our fourth and probably last (the economy) annual spokane to chicago trip on the eb. everything went fine, as usual on the empire builder. we got the family bedroom again (for the last time, as they changed the occupancy rules after we made our reservation). plenty of room for our group of 3 adults and 1 child.

the food, with the eb's enhanced dining service, was very, very good. especially like the option of the traditional dining car choice of a baked potato. it seemed there were extra staff in the diner. 3 servers and, at times, 2 stewards. maybe because it is still the busy season as we have gone a bit later in the fall in the past. but the car ran very smoothly with no rush to finish meals. the wine tastings were also enjoyable and without charge. i asked the lsa about it and he said "you've already paid for it". take that, coast starlight.

our sleeper attendants were very friendly and professional. as we were coming into chicago, paul, our attendant, was putting his car in order and brought us 2 chamagnes and 2 sparkling ciders as a farewell. on the way home, andrea used the left over champagne to mix with oj and make mimosas for all who wanted (all over 21 anyway). and to top it off, the famous singing lounge attendant, ms. oliver was on the eb on our way home.

the scenery, history, relaxing ride and chicago were all great as usual. yarrow and i have enough agr points saved to go to sante fe in, we hope, january. we are much looking forward to that but for now nothing beats amtrak's greatest train, the noble empire builder

I agree with you, my best trips in October were on the EB. And I was surprised that the wine tastings on the EB were still free! I did partake in 1 on the CS, but my $5 ran out after the 1st one (of the 2 on each trip). So 1 out of 4 on the CS but 2 out of 2 on the EB!

I agree with you, my best trips in October were on the EB. And I was surprised that the wine tastings on the EB were still free! I did partake in 1 on the CS, but my $5 ran out after the 1st one (of the 2 on each trip). So 1 out of 4 on the CS but 2 out of 2 on the EB!
The difference is that the wine tastings on the EB take place in the dining car. On the CS they take place in the PPC, a car that until recently didn't earn revenue for Amtrak. So now they are trying to justify and maintain the existance of this car by generating some revenue from it. This is why they charge for the wine tastings, why they now serve meals there, and sell drinks there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back