Does AMTRAK have a commuting plan?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom

I would like to go from Shreveport, la (but will settle for Marshall, tx) to Waco, tx (but will settle for McGregor) twice a month. If I could use the "Explore America" pass I would do it in a heart beat ($6.50/ trip). Unfortunatly, they have the unique restriction barring exactly what I want to do. Is there a plan or package where I can do something similar?

Thanks

The only thing I'm aware of are a few select Rail Pass programs. The Florida Resident Rail Pass allows travel on any train in Florida between any city pair (except locally between West Palm and Miami) on an annual basis. The California Rail Pass is similar, but has no residency restriction and has a 7 or 21 day time frame on it. Finally, I know in the Northeast for sure (and maybe in parts of the Midwest) there are Commuter options available, but these trains are set up primarily for Commuter use.

And unless they have changed it, you can't buy a regular ticket, and even with the Florida res. railpass, you can't travel between Tampa and Lakeland, in either direction, which I do not understand in the least. Seems like they are missing some revenue there. Northbound before Tampa you can't get ON at Lakeland, and after Tampa you can't get OFF at Lakeland, and Southbound you can't get ON before Tampa and you can't get OFF after Tampa. Never mind that the train is actually scheduled to STOP at Lakeland all four times.

Well this runs into the issue of guaranteeing seats, and loading that many people for such a short distance. The long distance services are not there to move large numbers of people over short distances, they are intercity trains. The ultimate solution (for Central Florida) really is a 132 mile Commuter System from Deland down to Tampa. Granted the runs themseleves would take about 2 1/2 hours, but it would be well worth it in the end. It would also help to bring a lot of development to areas like Haines City, Auburndale, and Davenport, allowing folks to move further afield from TPA/ORL, but still maintain good jobs with good commutes.

Back