Dinner on CoNO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe there is a short meal period upon departure from Chicago. If some of you recall there was a large number of injuries when the CONO derailed at Bourbonais a few years back in the Dining Car. Since the schedule hasn't changed since then for this train I'd have to guess they still have Dinner.

battalion51 said:
I believe there is a short meal period upon departure from Chicago. If some of you recall there was a large number of injuries when the CONO derailed at Bourbonais a few years back in the Dining Car. Since the schedule hasn't changed since then for this train I'd have to guess they still have Dinner.
Dinner is served 1hr after departing CHI on the City Of New Orleans. :)

Yes it does. In fact, Amtrak has now changed things for both the Lake Shore Limited and the City of New Orleans to deal with the late departures. In the past one would not get dinner until at least a half hour after departure, if not even later.

Now however, first class passengers (those in sleepers), typically board at least 30 to 50 minutes prior to the scheduled departure. This assumes that you are waiting in the Metropolitan Lounge. If you are in the main waiting area, then you won't get this privledge. Within a half hour of boarding the diner should open and you should find yourself at least having ordered dinner, if not already eating it, before the train ever leaves the station.

I was pleasently surprised by this new policy this past Wednesday when I boarded the LSL for NY, after connecting from the Texas Eagle.

Those in coach may still find themselves waiting until after departure, unless the diner doesn't fill up with sleeper pax.

BNSF_1088 said:
battalion51 said:
Dinner is served 1hr after departing CHI on the City Of New Orleans. :)
Not anymore guys, read my post about the new policy just above. :)

That sounds like a great deal. Yet another benefit to ClubAcela/Metropolitan Lounge. I was thuroughly pleased with ClubAcela in Boston and New York, but disappointed that niether has free Wi-Fi. According to someone in Boston though they are working on free Wi-Fi at South Station.

battalion51 said:
I was thuroughly pleased with ClubAcela in Boston and New York, but disappointed that niether has free Wi-Fi. According to someone in Boston though they are working on free Wi-Fi at South Station.
That's news to me. They just installed WI-FI in all Club Acela lounges except DC, and the deal in all cases was that it would be run by AT&T and that it would not be free.

DC on the other hand has had WI-FI for about 2 years and it has always been free. However the service there can be spotty, you have to pick the right place to sit.

The DC lounge is also under going some repair work right now. In fact the entire refreshment area is closed and it's been ripped out. They have set up a temp area in one of the ante rooms.

The lounge in Boston however, IMHO remains the nicest looking lounge on the corridor. They manged to blend modern furnishing with the old station's ceilings and walls. Boston also remains the only lounge with free computers available for passenger use.

The last time I was on #59 (coach, about four months ago) the first and only call for dinner was made at about 8:15. The train was late that night so we were still in the station. The diner was totally full with sleeping car passengers so we had to wait for a few minutes. I had some really good Chicken Fried Steak with Mashed Potatoes and vegetables...and salad and Apple Pie.

The CofNO has a really excellent crew. Enjoy your ride!

Back