DEN-CHI-BOS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getbent

Train Attendant
I figured since you guys were so helpful I should include a trip report! Thanks again for answering our questions.

Denver- boarded a little late, but only about 30 minutes. The train car was very full and we ended up seated in the Crew Only area, back by the door. My seven-year-old settled in and said, "This is the life!" I agreed. We were on our way and enjoyed seeing some scenery.

Around 9, we settled into our seats to sleep. He nested up on the floor and I balled up on the seats. If I had it to do over, I'd try to get him to stay in his seat so I could take advantage of the seats, or I'd have him lay under the leg rest. We were by the door, so it was a noisy night. We slept well, but not the best. At 5:30, we were both fully awake. Hunger got the best of us and we headed to the dining car for breakfast around 6:30. We had a fantastic meal with a couple of sisters traveling for a family reunion.

During the day, I enjoyed seeing the sights of Iowa. I have ridden on RAGBRAI three times and the train goes through many of the overnight towns from my first trip. In Chariton, I pointed out the armory and told my son that a lovely woman had mailed my postcard to him from this town. Found out that the weird slot machine noise I heard all night, that I attributed to the doors (I was sleepy!), was actually our neighbor across the aisle who played the game on his phone all night with the volume turned up. Grr.

Had lunch in the lounge car. It closed right when we got down there, since we were pulling into Galesburg, IL, and the attendant needed to take out the trash and smoke. The conductor has announced it would be a three-minute stop, so "turn 'em and burn 'em, folks." We stayed on the train. Once underway again, another employee came in and said someone had been left behind. This is when I learned that they were on their own. Lesson learned? Follow the rules!

Arrived into Chicago about 30 minutes early (ooh la la!) and went to see the SkyDeck/Sears Tower/Willis Tower and eat Giordano's, as is the standard trip for many an Amtrak layover. We had time to burn before the Lake Shore Limited, so we grabbed ice cream and watched the boats go by. I love that! We weren't stuck in a building. Watched a woman go off on the Amtrak employees in the metro lounge because a taxi had taken off with her luggage. They took a lot of abuse before they finally shut her down (rightfully so).

Made our way to our roomette at the FAR end of the train. Hiked back for wine and cheese and met a mother/daughter duo from England. My kid was nervous about being left behind, after the Galesburg incident, so we went through the many cars to get back. We were so tired that we put down our own beds and fell asleep.

My son, who doesn't usually sleep in, slept until almost 10! That's only 8 our time, but still impressive. I woke up around 8 and showered and then decided to order breakfast in the room, since I was worried we'd miss it. Our train attendant was hilarious and very accommodating. He allowed us to keep our beds down all day so we could lay out. The extra rest was wonderful after the night in coach.

Arriving into Boston was exciting and bittersweet. Our time on the train was over, but we both agreed we would travel that way again.

We flew home and when we landed, my son says, "We should have taken the train home." I totally agreed.

Thanks!

I was really nervous to take a seven-year-old on a long distance trip like this, but it was excellent. We took a road trip together last summer and had fun, but of course I was driving. On the train I had plenty of time to look at everything and just hang out. Trains are perfect for young kids.

Back