Deal keeps some bus routes at train depot

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
President Gordon Mackay told the Kalamazoo City Commission on Monday

that Indian Trails will not back away from its airport move, which he

said will save about $365,000 a year by shortening routes through

better highway access and will "open new potential markets."

Mackay said the bus lines also want to distance themselves from

Amtrak, which they are stationed next to at the downtown depot. Heavy

state subsidies to the passenger rail system create a "grossly

unfair" cost advantage over the intercity bus lines, Mackay said.

"This subsidy allows Amtrak to charge fares that are far below the

true cost of providing the service, and the intercity bus carriers

have lost needed ridership and revenues as a result," he said.

News Story

I am losing respect for Indian Trails. First they try to force state regulation of train fares, now they want to "distance" themselves from Amtrak because Amtrak gets an "unfair" subsidy. While I don't disagree that the intercity bus system needs help, they need not say that Amtrak gets more help than they do. Just who do they think built the roads and bridges their buses travel over? If they say they pay for it through fuel tax, they're way off! What they pay in fuel tax does not even begin to cover the costs of highway construction and maintenance.

If they would really use their heads, they would try to increase their partnership with Amtrak, look into more cost sharing with Amtrak, and try to take advantage of Amtrak's "unfair" subsidy to help feed passengers into their bus network. This would take some attitude adjustment on Amtrak's part as well, and the real winners here would be traveling public. Instead of working together, they're turning into bitter enemies, and that's not good!

lepearso said:
I am losing respect for Indian Trails.  First they try to force state regulation of train fares, now they want to "distance" themselves from Amtrak because Amtrak gets an "unfair" subsidy.  While I don't disagree that the intercity bus system needs help, they need not say that Amtrak gets more help than they do.  Just who do they think built the roads and bridges their buses travel over?  If they say they pay for it through fuel tax, they're way off!  What they pay in fuel tax does not even begin to cover the costs of highway construction and maintenance.
If they would really use their heads, they would try to increase their partnership with Amtrak, look into more cost sharing with Amtrak, and try to take advantage of Amtrak's "unfair" subsidy to help feed passengers into their bus network.  This would take some attitude adjustment on Amtrak's part as well, and the real winners here would be traveling public.  Instead of working together, they're turning into bitter enemies, and that's not good!
like i have said before the Indian trails and Greyhound busess in the State of Michigan are owend by the State of Michigan and leased to Indian trails and Greyhound for $1,000 a year.And they also get Fuel tax breaks and State money to operate the lines in Michigan. :angry:

Also the Bus line used to haul passengers between Flint East Lansing and Battle Creek for the Amtrak conections is Indian Trails i wish the State would drop this contract with them i am so sick of them bashing Amtrak all the time when they have a contract to haul Amtrak Passengers.

BNSF_1088 said:
like i have said before the Indian trails and Greyhound busess in the State of Michigan are owend by the State of Michigan and leased to Indian trails and Greyhound for $1,000 a year.And they also get Fuel tax breaks and State money to operate the lines in Michigan. :angry:
And they think they are disadvantaged???

Anyone in Michigan now is the time to raise hell again over this issue.Last year we almost lost the Blue water and the Pere Marquette over this issue but thanks to our Gov she was able to veto the Bill.This has only started it will get worse closer to when Amtrak's funding is out in the media about the State funding in Michigan.

BNSF_1088 said:
President Gordon Mackay told the Kalamazoo City Commission on Mondaythat Indian Trails will not back away from its airport move, which he

said will save about $365,000 a year by shortening routes through

better highway access and will "open new potential markets."

Mackay said the bus lines also want to distance themselves from

Amtrak, which they are stationed next to at the downtown depot. Heavy

state subsidies to the passenger rail system create a "grossly

unfair" cost advantage over the intercity bus lines, Mackay said.

"This subsidy allows Amtrak to charge fares that are far below the

true cost of providing the service, and the intercity bus carriers

have lost needed ridership and revenues as a result," he said.

News Story
T o view the full story please click on the story button on the 1st post.Here is a quote from the story.

Bus terminals for Indian Trails Inc. will be moved from downtown Kalamazoo to the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport June 1.

Bus officials could not negotiate a lower lease price with city officials for their space in the new transportation facility, said Michael Bazelides, executive vice president of Indian Trails.

Competition with Amtrak also proves to be a problem for the company.

"We can't compete with them," Bazelides said.

Amtrak receives $4.4 million from the state for one round trip between Chicago and Port Huron, while Indian Trails receives no operating money, he said.

Indian Trails offers four round trips from Bay City to Chicago, five round trips from Kalamazoo to Chicago, one round trip from Kalamazoo to St. Ignace and one round trip from Bay City to St. Ignace.

With the $4.4 million Amtrak receives, Indian Trails could provide discounted services, Bazelides said.

"We could run all our existing service right now and everyone could ride for free," he said.

Back