Day-Trip from New York

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMTRAK-P42

Conductor
Well I am going to be up in New York in about 1 1/2 weeks and I want to do something a little different. I have done the NJT to death, and the LIR is a possibility but not on this trip (long story). So here is where I need some suggestions. I have some free time during the week while in the city and I would like to take a day trip New York. My only stipulations:

-Trip has to allow me to leave Penn no earlier than 930am and return by either 530pm or at latest 6pm.

-Something other then the usual stuff (no exclusive Northeast Corridor stuff; been there, done that, etc :) ).

-Has to be on Amtrak

Thanks guys

The only Amtrak route that doesn't run along the Northeast Corridor is the Empire which runs to Albany. The LIRR would be your best choice.

tydev417 said:
The only Amtrak route that doesn't run along the Northeast Corridor is the Empire which runs to Albany. The LIRR would be your best choice.
Along the Corridor does not bother me, it just cannot be exclusively on the corridor.

Well if you don't want to ride the LIRR, don't want NJT, and you still want to leave from Penn, then your only choice is Amtrak. Either to Albany or somewhere on that corridor, or up to New Haven and back on the NEC.

I'm not sure what the problem with the LIRR is, but if you can handle the LIRR, then you open up more possibilites. I can also recommend some subway rides if you want. But otherwise you're options are very limited with what you've stated. Adding Grand Central to the list would help, as that opens up Metro North then.

Yea, the Albany option was one I had looked into. It looks like it is the winner. Are there any good restaurants/snack places/things to do for an hour or two while I’m there?

I once heard talk that they were going to have a resturant in the station, but I'm not sure if it ever happened. However, there are a few places to eat in the station. There is some kind of a sandwich place there, a news store, and something else that I can't recall. One can also take a walk around the neighborhood, I think that there is a Dunkin Donuts not far. I seem to recall seeing it when I was standing on a nearby road bridge watching the trains.

One can also stand on the skybridge in the station to watch the trains.

Yeah I agree a trip up the Hudson Valley is a good choice. I hear its pretty scenic as well, as it is a sharp contrast to hustle and bustle of NYC to travelling along river banks.

Chris

the ride up the Hudson Valley is beautiful. It might be possible depending upon how much time you have between trains and transit/taxi service you might be able to go into Albany and see the Capitol building.

Back