D.Gunn's Acela letter to Employees

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray L. Nutz

Train Attendant
18 APRIL 05

Dear Amtrak Co-workers:

Let me say thank you to everyone who's been hard at work in the wake of the suspension of Acela Express service Friday, especially those in the Mechanical department, Transportation department and

on the front lines of service delivery – res agents, ticket agents, gate agents and OBS.

Delivering to our passengers the best service possible is of paramount importance right now. Safety, however, is our top priority, and no Acela Express train will be returned to service unless it is inspected and found to be safe.

We are just at the beginning of this situation, and there's not going to be any significant return of Acela service any time soon. However, we are taking a number of steps to deal with this situation, and I want to tell you about them.

First, we are re-working the NEC schedule to slot in as many Metroliner trainsets as we can press into service. Some of this Metroliner Amfleet equipment is on the Adirondack, some of it is on the

Downeaster service. These cars will be returned to the corridor. The Metroliner sets will be deployed in a manner that services the maximum number of our passengers.

We're also moving as much Regional Amfleet equipment into the corridor as possible. New Jersey Transit is helping us by running a Clocker roundtrip with their equipment, freeing up our trainset. The West Coast Horizon charter equipment is coming east to free-up Amfleet equipment on the Empire Service. We are also suspending charter moves.

The Mechanical department is doing an excellent job keeping the conventional equipment shop counts low. For the foreseeable future, Amfleets are all we will have in any quantity for service on the Northeast Corridor, although a few Acela sets may be available from time to time.

Finally, let me acknowledge that this sudden and disappointing development comes as Amtrak's board of directors and legislative policymakers consider our federal support in FY '06 and the long-term future of the railroad. If anything is certain, however, the suspension of Acela service and the subsequent public reaction has pointed out just how important a reliable passenger rail system really is to the traveling public.

At this point, the board still has not yet settled on a request for FY '06.

In the coming weeks, Congressional hearings on our future and other news about Acela can be expected to make headlines. As part of my job, I will continue to provide updates as more is known.

Please continue to focus 100 percent of your energy and attention to the safety and security of passengers while on the job — and good customer service. Our passengers expect nothing less from all of us.

Sincerely,

/s/ David L. Gunn

Thanks Ray, but someone already beat you to the punch, posting David's letter in the main Acela topic located here. It's at the bottom of page #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back