Cross-country Thanksgiving trip, part II

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Darin Boville

O.K., I'm still trying to make this work.

I have two kids (girls) six and eight. If it is just me and the kids can I fit them into anything smaller than the $$$$ Family bedroom--that is, are the beds big enough for them to share? Will Amtrak allow that?

Alternative: what about me suffering in coach and having the kids in a roomette--are coach seats near enough to the roomettes--or is that a different car?

Another alternative, with AAA discount and if I bring my wife and the kids and get a family bedroom I'm looking at $2900 round trip (San Francisco to Cleveland, Depart Nov 16, Return Nov 28). Am I missing any discounts?

If I could figure something out no higher than $2400 for all four (and with my wife getting a good night's sleep) I'd be a happy guy.

Thanks!

--Darin

Trust me ........get a sleeper. All your meals will be included. I know the sleep car is usually on the other side of diner (there is a diner and lounge in the middle and then like 3 coach car) . I would try to see if you can upgrade the day you leave.

And to answer your 1st question........Yes Amtrak will. The family bedroom is usually located on the lower level of car and it has 4 beds .

If you do go with the two girls in a roomette (small bedroom) you will only get included meals for two of you. We did this on the CZ this summer, my wife and 5 & 2 year old girl in one roomette and my son and I in another. We got 4 meals covered and bought whatever my 2 year old ate. The amtrak website details this, here is the link: Sleepers

Back