Crescent running "backwards" ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
I observed yesterday the northbound Meridian CRESCENT, Train 20(3) while I was in Philadelphia. Its consist, from front to back was:

AEM-7 locomotive

3 Amfleet II coaches

Lounge

Diner

2 Viewliners

Crew dorm

Baggage

This appears to be "backwards" from the normal configuration; usually the baggage and sleepers are towards the front of the train.

I wonder if the fact that the train currently turns in Meridian, MS has anything to do with it. One would expect that they could wye the train someplace around there.

Isn't Philly where they hook onto electric power and pull the train what would seem to be backward into NYP. I know I have taken the Crescent and the Broadway LTD into Phil. and they have done this. being in the last car on the onld Broadway, it was interesting to watch the electric loco to pull up to the train and then pull us to NY.

They are not turning the train at Meridian Miss. They are simply switching ends with the locos and running the consist in this manner. Because train 20's equipment normally turns at NYP to be train #97 the next day, the southbound "Meteor" can be observed in this same manner on its whole route. This is supposedly to be the case until trains return back to NOL.

On another note, this is actually the traditional way of running the consist with the exception of the baggage car being on the rear. It would please me so much if Amtrak would begin to run the equipment on all the single level trains in this manner again. That way the first class passengers would be at the end of the train where it is more quiet (and on a personal note I feel the ride is better as well as safer) without the sounds of the locomotive and horn. In the Amfleet coaches, the seats are turned around the "correct" way (the way the cars were intended to be operated) with restroom and wheelchair accesible seat to the front providing a wheelchair pax more space as well as eliminating those problem "bulkhead" seats with no window to look out of, etc. OBS...

I don't think they have been able to wye the train in Meridian and have been running the locomotives around the train. Perhaps that explains what you saw.

Also, Amtrak has just announced the return of service to NOL with the first departure out of NOL on Sunday October 9th. I don;t know the status of the stations in Picayune, Slidell, Laurel and Hattiesburg.

The City of New Orleans will also resume service from NOL later that day.

Midland Valley said:
Isn't Philly where they hook onto electric power and pull the train what would seem to be backward into NYP. I know I have taken the Crescent and the Broadway LTD into Phil. and they have done this. being in the last car on the onld Broadway, it was interesting to watch the electric loco to pull up to the train and then pull us to NY.
Not anymore. The Electric-Diesel switch takes place at Washington, DC now.

Midland Valley said:
The only trains that undergo an engine change in Philadelphia are the Keystones (those headed to or from New York City) and the PENNSYLVANIAN. All of those trains operate "backwards" between New York and Philly in both directions. Towards Harrisburg & Pittsburgh, the electric engine comes off in PHL and a diesel is put on the opposite end of the train. Towards New York, the reverse takes place. Usually Amtrak assigns its "push-pull" cars to these trains, with coaches that have half the seats facing in one direction, and half in the other. Inevitably, some passengers are going to have to ride facing the rear of the train for part of their journey.

The CRESCENT has not changed engines in PHL for some time now, and even if it did, that would not have caused the train to operate with its equipment at the wrong ends of the train.

I accept and believe what others above have said -- that they were unable to wye in Meridian and so they just ran the engine around the train. I wonder if they turned all the seats too, or if the seats faced backwards from Meridian all the way into New York. I've never seen any Amfleet II's in the above "push-pull" configuration.

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Because train 20's equipment normally turns at NYP to be train #97 the next day, the southbound "Meteor" can be observed in this same manner on its whole route. This is supposedly to be the case until trains return back to NOL.
Seems to me that this problem could be easily eliminated by simply NOT running the train through the loop in Sunnyside Yard. Just do what they do in Meridian, and run the engine around the consist on a straight track. Then voila, you've got your SILVER METEOR ready to go to Florida, in the correct configuration.

Why do I have to think of all these things? :D

Superliner Diner said:
The CRESCENT has not changed engines in PHL for some time now, and even if it did, that would not have caused the train to operate with its equipment at the wrong ends of the train.
Actually during the Acela crisis, all LD's including the Crescent were chaging engines in Philly to conserve the demand on the electric motors.

I think that stopped about a month ago, when about half of the Acela fleet was returned to service.

Superliner Diner said:
Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Because train 20's equipment normally turns at NYP to be train #97 the next day, the southbound "Meteor" can be observed in this same manner on its whole route. This is supposedly to be the case until trains return back to NOL.
Seems to me that this problem could be easily eliminated by simply NOT running the train through the loop in Sunnyside Yard. Just do what they do in Meridian, and run the engine around the consist on a straight track. Then voila, you've got your SILVER METEOR ready to go to Florida, in the correct configuration.

Why do I have to think of all these things? :D
That's not a viable option. The only way into Sunnyside yard is via the loop, unless one arrives after say 8:00 or 9:00 PM and wrong rails through Line 2, what is normally the inbound tunnel under the East River for Amtrak.

However, between the hours of 6:00 AM and 8:00 PM Monday - Friday that is not an options, as both inbound tunnels to Penn (Lines 2 & 4) are in high demmand.

Back