Crescent hits car in Ga 1 person killed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

railfangns

Train 19 the southbound crescent was traveling at 79 mph at 830 am when a kia drove around a downed crossbar in Norcross Ga and was struck by amtrak train number 19 the crescent. The driver was killed on impact and the train was delayed several hours while the accident was being investigated.The crescent was carring 128 passengers plus the crew no one on the train was hurt.The passengers said all they felt was a slight jolt.The car parts were scattered over a large area.The crescent was scheduled to make a station stop in Atlanta Ga after they departed the accident scene. It had 2 engines but they didnt appear to be damaged.

remember dont try to beat a train at a crossing you never win !

railfangns said:
remember dont try to beat a train at a crossing you never win !
or never to buy a kia :D . Anyways, yea I was curious about the larger then normal delay to, guess I know why now. I may try and head down there tomorrow to see if the same engines are being used to hall #20 north as were used on #19 today.

Saw WAGA's video at the shop this past shift.

The P42DC apparently hit the Kia in the rear, 'cos from the video it looks like the gas tank, leaked, caught fire, and burned the car up.

There were also the usual interviews with cops, and annoyed passengers.

Not that it is terribly important, but the car that was struck did not stop on the tracks as the TV stations reported. He drove around the crossing gates and was immediately struck by the locomotive - immediatly bursting into flames. There was not a single piece of the car that was not completely burned.

Well did they hit something else? The train lost even more time and was over 6 hours late getting into new orleans.However i noticed train 19 was only 3 minutes late leaving new orleans the next morning.They had to do a fast job cleaning and servicing the crescent to get it out without a big delay.

I hope the crescent doesnt run very late as often as the coast starlate or the lateshore limited or the sunset limited. I know these 3 trains have a major problem with tardiness. I hear you can blaim up and csx for their lateness.

Back