Convert paid reservation to reward?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

ulcardfan

I booked a paid one-way roomette trip from CHI-SEA for late July. I recently received the 40k bonus from my Chase Sapphire card, and am able to transfer them to AGR points 1:1. The easy solution would be to transfer 20k miles to AGR, cancel the paid reservation (even paying the 10% fee), and book a new reservation. saving me about $600.

The problem is, when I go to the Amtrak site, it now shows no bedrooms available for that trip. Does anyone know if its possible to simply change the reservation from paid to reward, without the risk of cancelling the paid reservation, and being unable to book a new room on that train?

I hope this question makes sense.

Call up AGR and explain what you want to do, and also explain that you already have a room reserved. And if you take an e voucher, I do not think you will have a (10%) penalty - that applies if you receive a refund.

Do note that there is a very slight risk to the above plan, as the AGR agent must first cancel the paid reservation and then go back and grab that room out of inventory to use points for it. There is a risk, very slight, that during those few seconds someone else checks for a room and grabs it and you'd be left with nothing.

The odds are in your favor, but you do need to be aware of the risk!

Back