Condition/Age of Superliner Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bill Needles

I keep reading stories of the lack of cleanliness/age of the Superliner Cars. What can I expect on my trip tomorrow on the Texas Eagle, Capital Limited and Crescent? thanks, Bill

The Superliner equipment is definitely old and showing its wear, but is usually scrubbed pretty clean and everything usually works okay. Just don't be too surprised if you see duct tape here and there holding things together... it's not everywhere but you might see it in a spot or two on your train. Superliner cars are being continously rebuilt and refurbished now as quickly as manpower and funds permit. This was not done on a regular basis for many years. Enjoy your trip!

When are going on the Crescent? If you are planning any layover in NOL, you will need to double check on hotel accommodations and local transportation. There is not much there - definitely no taxis or local ground transportation.

Also, the Crescent is a Viewliner train - single level.

If he's going from the Eagle to the Capitol Limited to the Crescent it sounds like he'll be avoiding NOL altogether... not a bad plan considering the damage and chaos that continues there.

Mr Needles, if you see this before you take off, a little advice from an on board service employee. When I travel in (even at work) I carry a small pack of "Clorox" wipes or something similar to baby wipes that have the cleaner already applied with me in my bag. That way if I find something not quite to my satisfaction, I can take care of it and be ok. I find for the most part, the car cleaners overall do fairly good job of cleaning the insides of the cars up. But keep in mind, many times they are pressed for time due to equipment constraints, late trains, etc. When this occurs they may shortcut a little, or simply miss something all together. It happens commonly everywhere, hotels, trains, airlines, etc. I find keeping that pack of cleaning wipes usually takes care of most issues I run into while traveling. I sometimes have to do a little sprucing up at work in the crew car or in my sleeper in the case we have an on/off passenger sale in the same room. They (the cleaning wipes) come in very handy! Take care and hope you enjoy your trip, and please heed the advice of the one who mentions accomodations in the NOL area. There is really very little around down there! OBS...

Thanks all, we originally were going thru Nol until the hurricane...now we are routed north...I will bring the Clorox wipes, good idea...any other tips?

Bill Needles said:
Thanks all, we originally were going thru Nol until the hurricane...now we are routed north...I will bring the Clorox wipes, good idea...any other tips?
Well if you haven't already read them, then check out On Track On Line's Hints & Tips.

Back