College football fans reserve entire Amtrak coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
I think an official bar car would be a good idea for many/most trains, both for the people who want to drink and for those who want to be away from the people who want to drink, but it seems that's no longer possible. In the case of a Superliner I always thought the lower level lounge could be the bar area but I guess it's better to mix drinkers and teetotalers indiscriminately for reasons that elude my comprehension.

Last edited:
I suppose if you have exclusive occupancy of a coach on a scheduled train, it has the same “carry on” alcohol allowance as a fully chartered train?🤔

About 20 years ago a group of motorcyclist rented a whole train set. It ran from Michigan or Wisconsin (I think, it was a long time ago) to my home town of Newcastle Wyoming for the annual Sturges Bike week in early August.

They had lots of sleeper and box cars (back when Amtrak still had that service). They put the bikes in the box cars and rode out to Wyoming. They slept in the train and it worked out great for them.

The best side note is that the dining car chef opened up for local's for lunch every day since the bikers were off having fun. Newcastle is a small town of about 3,000 people and having a new restaurant open for a week was a big hit. My parents went most days. All were themed. The Chef had a Cajon day as an example.

Jim

Last edited:
About 20 years ago a group of motorcyclist rented a whole train set. It ran from Michigan or Wisconsin (I think, it was a long time ago) to my home town of Newcastle Wyoming for the annual Sturges Bike week in early August.

They had lots of sleeper and box cars (back when Amtrak still had that service). They put the bikes in the box cars and rode out to Wyoming. They slept in the train and it worked out great for them.

The best side note is that the dining car chef opened up for local's for lunch every day since the bikers were off having fun. Newcastle is a small town of about 3,000 people and having a new restaurant open for a week was a big hit. My parents went most days. All were themed. The Chef had a Cajon day as an example.

Jim

This is a rare occurrence. I played football in college and this only happened 1 time. Of course it lifted our spirits before the game. In those days, I bought college essays, found https://edubirdie.com/buy-college-essays for this. By the way, it was women's football. It's hard to believe, but women's football was more popular in our college.
This is a rare occurrence. I played football in college and this only happened 1 time. Of course it lifted our spirits before the game.

That’s a smart move on Amtrak’s part. If things get too far out of hand they just detach the whole car.
In 1973 the Shriners from British Columba came down to Portland on a long weekend to visit their Childrens Hospital. They had four ex-Santa Fe leg-rest coaches which were switched from the Pacific International to the Coast Starlight in Seattle, so they didn't have to change trains. They were kept in their own cars. I don't know what they ate, but they definitely had enough to drink.

I organized the hotel transfer for the Gray Line of Portland, which we did with three buses. The group took long enough to unload that the first bus was back for a second trip. One of the group asked me how to get from their hotel to a liquor store and I explained that getting through the Lloyd Shopping Center was too convoluted to explain, so I would be on that last bus and would walk them over to it on my way home. When I got to the hotel, a platoon had already walked over to it. They had found the way through the underground garage and level change and were restocking.

Despite the liquid entertainment, they stayed out of trouble and had a good time the next day with the kids in the hospital.

Back