Coast Starlight ????

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jrmaltman

Curious about the current condition of the coast starlight. We went round trip from Seattle-LAX-Seattle last June, and had a great time.

Rumor among the attendants was that there was consideration of pulling the pacific parlour car off the run after the summer. Anyone know anything about this ????

Thanks

John

I can go to the Santa Barbara Amtrak station each day for the next four days and let you all know exactly what is in each day's consist. I work just a few blocks from there.

It's a great place to eat lunch. No food served on site, but lots of good places close by. The northbound Coast Starlight (and it is usually on time) passes through town during my lunch hour.

If any of use guys want pix, I can do that too.

Allen, Could you please get some pictures. If you can would you mind if I used them on my website? Thanks B)

Can you tell me where you can stay in Seattle if one was to ride the Coast Starlight from L.A. ? I imagine the train station in Seattle is fairly close to downtown. I'm also interested in the quality of the service...I just hope when I go, I will enjoy the trip.

I had insomnia tonight so I went to the Sacramento station at 1 AM to see the NB Starlight. There was a Pacific Parlor car in the consit after the 2 locos, baggage, transition sleeper and 3 sleepers. After the parlor car was the diner, the sightseer lounge, 3 coaches and an express boxcar. Did not know this but they also do a crew change at Sacramento.

tp49 said:
I had insomnia tonight so I went to the Sacramento station at 1 AM to see the NB Starlight. There was a Pacific Parlor car in the consit after the 2 locos, baggage, transition sleeper and 3 sleepers. After the parlor car was the diner, the sightseer lounge, 3 coaches and an express boxcar. Did not know this but they also do a crew change at Sacramento.
I passed by the Santa Barbara Amtrak station at about 12:20 PM today.

Northbound #14 was already sitting at the station on the Mission Block track, over 20 minutes EARLY, and there was a Pacific Parlour car in the consist.

We'll see what the next 2 days have in store for us.

Over the weekend, I will be taking pix of the station and the trains, and you kids have my permission to use these on your websites

So we'll just have to see what 14 has tomorrow and we'll have 3 of the 4 sets covered.

Allen Dee said:
tp49 said:
I had insomnia tonight so I went to the  Sacramento station at 1 AM to see the NB Starlight.  There was a Pacific Parlor car in the consit after the 2 locos, baggage, transition sleeper and 3 sleepers.  After the parlor car was the diner, the sightseer lounge, 3 coaches and an express boxcar.  Did not know this but they also do a crew change at Sacramento.
I passed by the Santa Barbara Amtrak station at about 12:20 PM today.

Northbound #14 was already sitting at the station on the Mission Block track, over 20 minutes EARLY, and there was a Pacific Parlour car in the consist.

We'll see what the next 2 days have in store for us.

Over the weekend, I will be taking pix of the station and the trains, and you kids have my permission to use these on your websites
Thanks Allen, Just email the pictures to me. Thanks. :)

tp49 said:
So we'll just have to see what 14 has tomorrow and we'll have 3 of the 4 sets covered.
I was unable to get to the Santa Barbara Amtrak station today. Maybe someone in Sacramento will have insomnia again tonight.

I will report back on this post tomorrow.

Allen Dee said:
tp49 said:
I was unable to get to the Santa Barbara Amtrak station today. Maybe someone in Sacramento will have insomnia again tonight.

I will report back on this post tomorrow.
I don't think anyone has a problem with it, after all it's not that important.

Someone in Sacramento has insomnia almost every night, should not be a problem. But if he's running as late as the WB Zephyr did (3+ hours) then it might. :)

14 showed up at 1:15 AM an hour fifteen down. This is because of the unrealistic schedule between San Jose and Sacramento. No Pacific Parlour car in this set instead there were two sightseer lounges.

tp49 said:
14 showed up at 1:15 AM an hour fifteen down. This is because of the unrealistic schedule between San Jose and Sacramento. No Pacific Parlour car in this set instead there were two sightseer lounges.
Sounds like it varies. Must be what 50/50 or close to it.

That's my guess. At worst you have a 50/50 shot at a Pacific Parlor and at best you have a 66% chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back