"Coast Daylight" BUS begins 12/14/02

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
Effective December 14, 2002, there will be another way to go between the San Diego/Los Angeles and San Francisco areas, at least partially by rail. Existing Amtrak Thruway buses 4769 and 4796 which now connect with Pacific Surfliner Trains 769 and 796 respectively at Santa Barbara and provide service up to San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles, will be extended to serve San Jose and San Francisco. Buses 4769 & 4796 will serve the San Jose Diridon Station (also served by the Coast Starlight, Capitol Corridor, ACE Commuter Rail, and CalTrain Commuter Rail), and the San Francisco Ferry Terminal, which is the main Amtrak (bus) station in that city.

In looking at the timetables, my only beef is that this service will be running a bit close (within 2 or 3 hours) of the Coast Starlight, and thus might not be worthwhile. Surely one would rather travel as far as Oakland by rail and then take a much shorter bus ride over the bridge. Scheduling these trips at different times of the day might make them more effective.

With the talk of a Coast Daylight train operating essentially the same route (but going up CalTrain's route up the Peninsula to San Francisco), this is at least a good beginning.

Surely one would rather travel as far as Oakland by rail and then take a much shorter bus ride over the bridge.
IIRC the busses leave from Emeryville not Oakland for SF. :)

I agree that the schedules should have been "split up" a little more. The only benefit of the buses is that they take just about 6 hours to make the trip (from Santa Barbara to San Jose) and they are likely to arrive early, wheras the Starlight takes 8 1/2 hours to make the trip and it is likely to arrive late. A better option for the bus scheduling might have been an overnight bus that would have met train 785 at Santa Barbara and arrived in San Jose by morning in time to connect with the morning Capitol trains. This is a hard decision.

If I was to schedule a second train (Coast Daylight) between Los Angeles and San Jose/San Francisco, I would actually run it welve hours after the Starlight runs to offer the passengers the most flexibility. Granted, this would mean that it would actually be an overnight train from San Francisco to Los Angeles, but it would have its benefits. It would be nice to be able to hop onto the train and go to sleep (in a sleeping car) and wake up in Los Angeles the next day refreshed and ready to go. What would be even nicer would be if it was an auto train (at San Francisco and Los Angeles only, of course) but still made all the passenger only stops en route, so that people could take their cars with them between these two big cities, something that a lot of people already do without the train...

tp49 said:
Surely one would rather travel as far as Oakland by rail and then take a much shorter bus ride over the bridge.
IIRC the busses leave from Emeryville not Oakland for SF. :)
TP49,

YDRC. (You DO remember correctly.) Most San Francisco connections do take place in Emeryville -- that is the Capitol Corridor, the San Joaquins, and the California Zephyr. The Coast Starlight to & from the north also has its connecting buses in Emeryville.

However, looking at the bottom of Page 54 of the latest National timetable, note that Thruway runs 6011 & 6014, which connect with the Coast Starlight to & from the south. do in fact make this connection at Oakland/Jack London Square rather than Emeryville. I guess the feeling was it would be a little bit of backtracking to go to Emeryville and then take the bus a little bit in the opposite direction.

jccollins said:
I agree that the schedules should have been "split up" a little more.  The only benefit of the buses is that they take just about 6 hours to make the trip (from Santa Barbara to San Jose) and they are likely to arrive early, wheras the Starlight takes 8 1/2 hours to make the trip and it is likely to arrive late.  A better option for the bus scheduling might have been an overnight bus that would have met train 785 at Santa Barbara and arrived in San Jose by morning in time to connect with the morning Capitol trains.  This is a hard decision.
If I was to schedule a second train (Coast Daylight) between Los Angeles and San Jose/San Francisco, I would actually run it welve hours after the Starlight runs to offer the passengers the most flexibility.  Granted, this would mean that it would actually be an overnight train from San Francisco to Los Angeles, but it would have its benefits.  It would be nice to be able to hop onto the train and go to sleep (in a sleeping car) and wake up in Los Angeles the next day refreshed and ready to go.  What would be even nicer would be if it was an auto train (at San Francisco and Los Angeles only, of course) but still made all the passenger only stops en route, so that people could take their cars with them between these two big cities, something that a lot of people already do without the train...
jccollins,

I agree totally with you, a schedule running 12 hours after (or before!) the current train schedule would be the best alternative, to give passengers a true "flip" schedule. The name Coast Daylight is deceiving, because in essence the existing Coast Starlight does run almost totally in daylight between the Los Angeles and S.F. Bay Areas. The "starlight" portion of the trip on Trains 11 & 14 is between the Bay Area and Oregon, which is served overnight in both directions. An overnight schedule for the portion of the route between Los Angeles and the Bay Area would be perfect.

In fact, not many folks here might remember, but there once was overnight service in this market in Amtrak's days. There was a train called the Spirit of California, which I believe was started up under the 403b plan by the state. It ran between Sacramento and Los Angeles, following the coastal route just like the Coast Starlight did, and still does. It was Train 15 southbound, and Train 18 northbound. I don't remember who the players were, but politics got that train started, and politics also killed it when a new Governor took office in Sacramento. The train was doing well when it was cancelled.

Back to the Thruway bus issue, so it's agreed that an overnight schedule would be best, although that might leave out the intermediate points who get the bus through at 2 or 3 AM. And, while we don't mind sleeping on trains, there are people who won't take a bus overnight because the bumpy ride is just not conducive to getting a night's sleep.

Regarding a western Auto Train...I agree this would make perfect sense, even if such a service were piggybacked on the back of a regular overnight passenger train making intermediate stops. But remember what the current Auto Train has -- massive facilities in Lorton and Sanford for the loading and unloading of vehicles, as well as extra long tracks to accomodate a very long passenger section of the train. Would there be room for such a facility in the Los Angeles or San Francisco areas? Probably not. Definitely not at Los Angeles Union Station or what is currently the CalTrain terminal in San Francisco, where a new intercity train most likely would go. This might work if you put these facilities outside of town, say in the San Fernando Valley alongside US 101 or I-5, and perhaps near I-880 or I-680 in the East Bay between Oakland and San Jose.

Truth is, though, what has been considered for an Auto Train West would take in the entire Coast Starlight route, running between Seattle and Los Angeles. This would unfortunately totally bypass anything in the Bay Area.

the bus schedule southbound makes sense at the scheduled afternoon time. #11 is "chronically" (like 95% of the time) late, and there is always a scramble to get passengers from SLO to the south. Additionally, passengers from the bay area, san jose, & salinas often have to be pulled from #11 at SLO (or Santa Barbara) to make connections in LA. The southbound bus fits in as a scheduled alternative to the starLATE when it goes down the tubes.

Actually, what REALLY makes sense (which is an absolute guarantee it won't happen) is to add a day train "Coast Daylight" LA-Bay and flip the starlate 12 hours so it is an overnight train LA-Bay. This would make it a day train thru norcal-southern oregon and an overnight into seattle. Since they already have multiple day trains Eugene-Seattle, this overnight service would get two nights service out of the sleepers that are now providing only one night service on the same run.

pismobum said:
Actually, what REALLY makes sense (which is an absolute guarantee it won't happen) is to add a day train "Coast Daylight" LA-Bay and flip the starlate 12 hours so it is an overnight train LA-Bay. This would make it a day train thru norcal-southern oregon and an overnight into seattle. Since they already have multiple day trains Eugene-Seattle, this overnight service would get two nights service out of the sleepers that are now providing only one night service on the same run.
In discussing overnight Los Angeles - Bay Area service, let's not overlook yet another idea that has been advocated by NARP and others, and also won't be implemented because it makes perfect sense. Extend the California Zephyr southward, beyond Emeryville, down the coast to Los Angeles. This would:

* Provide a new overnight train between the Bay Area and Los Angeles, and it would do so without disrupting the current schedule of 5 & 6.

* Require one more trainset dedicated to this train (possibly - see below)

* Centralize the equipment pool on the West Coast. By having the California Zephyr originate & terminate in Los Angeles, it could share the same Superliner equipment pool that is used by the Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, and Coast Starlight. It makes for better utlization of the equipment, thus using what is available at the time might negate the need for an extra trainset. Consolidating the maintenance of Superliner equipment at Los Angeles means they can close a base in the Bay Area, since no other Superliner trains terminate there. Something would have to be kept open for the California cars used on the San Joaquins and Capitol Corridor trains.

Now, if the California Zephyr takes the overnight slot on this route, then you probably would not have to also flip the Coast Starlight onto an overnight schedule between the Bay Area and Los Angeles. But I agree they would get more money out of the sleepers if they ran two overnights as opposed to one. The extra day train is not really needed within the Cascades Corridor.

Here is a synopsis of the schedules to illustrate how close the two routings (Pacific Surfliner + Thruway bus and COAST STARLIGHT + Thruway bus) are, and how much quicker the Pacific Surfliner + bus option is.

SOUTHBOUND via Pacific Surfliner

Bus 4796 Leave SFC 11:15 AM

Bus 4796 Arrive SBA 6:50 PM

Train 796 Leave SBA 7:05 PM

Train 796 Arrive LAX 9:45 PM

SOUTHBOUND via COAST STARLIGHT

Bus 6011 Leave SFC 7:55 AM

Bus 6011 Arrive OKJ 8:25 AM

Train 11 Leave OKJ 8:50 AM

Train 11 Arrive LAX 9:00 PM

Notice that the Pacific Surfliner option departs San Francisco Ferry Terminal 3 hours 20 minutes later than the COAST STARLIGHT option, but gets to Los Angeles only 45 minutes after the COAST STARLIGHT (assuming the trains are on time).

NORTHBOUND via Pacific Surfliner

Train 769 Leave LAX 12:30 PM

Train 769 Arrive SBA 3:04 PM

Bus 4769 Leave SBA 3:10 PM

Bus 4769 Arrive SFC 10:05 PM

NORTHBOUND via COAST STARLIGHT

Train 14 Leave LAX 10:15 AM

Train 14 Arrive OKJ 9:32 PM

Bus 6014 Leave OKJ 9:45 PM

Bus 6014 Arrive SFC 10:10 PM

The northbound Pacific Surfliner option departs Los Angeles 2-1/4 hours later than the COAST STARLIGHT, but now check out those two arrival times at San Francisco Ferry Terminal; they are within 5 minutes of each other!

A friend of mine who sometimes watches my correspondence in this forum and more often makes fun of my tendency to take the train on business trips (rather than the plane) can’t understand the bus situation. I explained that there are many people in our society who can not or will not fly. Ground alternatives must be provided. The bus is always a compromise in terms of comfort for everyone. How big can the bus alternatives become before the bus operators themselves complain that Amtrak represents government funded competition?

A.W.,

While we all prefer the train, let's face it, the tracks just don't go everyplace. Buses fill that gap, and can feed passengers to and from the trains, just as they are used for airport transfers. Amtrak's Thruway bus program, particularly in populated California, has been a tremendous success. I think we are going to see more Thruway bus routes added in the next few years, for several reasons:

* To gauge ridership in advance of possible rail extensions or startups.

* In lieu of rail service, given that the approriation given to Amtrak over this past summer contained language that prohibited any new rail startups for a period of time.

* Expanding into yet more markets, in order to entice new ridership for the trains.

I have found many buses to be rather uncomfortable; it was obvious that the thing was built with the intention of cramming as many seats as possible into a confined area. Legroom is compromised, so for a trip more than a few minutes you will have leg cramps in a short while. You can't really walk around on a bus while it is in motion; there's noplace to go other than a restroom if it has one.

On the other hand, some companies have gone out of their way to make things a little more comfortable. The Thruway bus trip I took this past summer in Michigan between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids on Indian Trails was a good example. Plenty of legroom, good climate control, colorful decor. When I closed my eyes I almost felt like I was on a train.

I think the bus companies and Amtrak are already working together, realizing they need one another, and can complement each others service well by feeding passengers from bus to train and vice versa. Greyhound, for one, has ended direct competition in certain markets with Amtrak, instead tailoring their routes to feed passengers to the trains, and only operating parallel to the rail route at times of the day when there are no trains.

The problem is if the bus is going to be one of the Amtrak California busses that are used between Oakland/San Jose that those busses are incredibly and uncomfortably cramped for someone of average height and weight. I would not want to spend six hours or so on one of those.

There are a few different styles of Amtrak California buses. I agree that the ones used between Oakland and San Jose are cramped. The Amtrak California buses used between Bakersfield and Los Angeles on the San Joaquin line, though, are VERY comfortable and have lots of leg room just like on the trains. I wouldn't mind sitting on one of these for six hours. Hopefully Amtrak will use these newer style buses on the Coast Daylight bus route.

Superliner Diner said:
I think the bus companies and Amtrak are already working together, realizing they need one another, and can complement each others service well by feeding passengers from bus to train and vice versa. Greyhound, for one, has ended direct competition in certain markets with Amtrak, instead tailoring their routes to feed passengers to the trains, and only operating parallel to the rail route at times of the day when there are no trains.
Look at Greyhound's San Diego and San Joaquin Valley schedules. A substantial number of these trips operate during the late night hours when Amtrak does not run.

Also many of the Amtrak Thruway buses in California are operated by Greyhound. Look at the picture on all of my posts -- it is a Greyhound MCI model 102D3 painted in Amtrak California colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back