CNO and Empire Builder Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Fan_Trains

my family and I will be going on the City of New Orleans from new Orleans to Chicago, on August 28th, and the Empire Builder from Chicago to Portland on August 29th. so can anyone tell what City of New Orleans consist of August 28th we will get, and the Empire Builder's consist of August 29th we will get?

Both trains use Bi-Level Superliner equipment, the Empire Builder will be very nice as it will have been "relaunched" by the time you ride and will include all-refurbished cars and other amenities (as indicated in a post below).

Hope you enjoy your trip :D

Well, no one can tell you specifically which cars you'll get, but we can tell you about the consists. While someone else can tell you about the CNO, I can give you a good idea about the Builder. This may change, as Amtrak is getting ready to "relaunch" the Builder with some of the newly refurbished equipment. Traditionally, the Builder's consist runs like this:

2 or 3 P42 engines

Baggage car

Transition Dorm

2 Sleepers (Seattle)

Diner

2 Coaches (Seattle)

Sightseer Lounge

1 Coach/Baggage (Portland)

1 Coach (Portland)

1 Sleeper (Portland)

At Spokane, the train is split between the Seattle coaches and the lounge. Another P42 engine is put on the front of the lounge car after the Seattle section continues on its way. If you're going to be riding in the sleeper car, they will have some kind of breakfast for you in the lounge car, but again I don't know how this will work with the new Empire Builder services.

Back