CBS Good Morning America

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
On the Good Morning America show this morning, the did a story about a North Florida College (or something like that) class that takes a nine day trip on Amtrak as part of the class requirement. It appeared that they took some train to Washington DC first. From there, they traveled the Capitol Limited to Chicago and then the Southwest Chief for LA it appeared. The students read 7 to 9 books and discuss them as they pass throught the areas that were settings for the books.

I was a high school math teacher for 30 years and wish I had thought of that. What an idea!

In 1979 my friend and I took a course in railroad history through American University. It was a summer course and included a three week trip on Amtrak around the U.S. The USA rail pass was in effect then. We had classes on the train, had guest instructors at various stops, and visited all kinds of historic sites. It was a great experience.

Looks like a very interesting class. Sean, you should be able to take it, and it will transfer around the state. The big problem would be scheduling it especially if it is not offered during the summer.

It looks as though it is ONLY offered in the summer. I know FAU has intense classes such as this one that take place over a two week period such as this class, and then that's it!

Back