Capitol Limited

• Thread starter Guest_shanghaiamtrak
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_shanghaiamtrak

Taking it from Dc in June. Which is the best side of the train to sit on? Anything to watch out for?

I wouldn't worry about it, just spend a lot of time in the sightseer lounge car, especially around harpers ferry and cumberland. The lake will be on the right side though.

Midland Valley said:
I wouldn't worry about it, just spend a lot of time in the sightseer lounge car, especially around harpers ferry and cumberland. The lake will be on the right side though.
I believe you mean river. The Capitol Limited follows the potamic river for most of the way between Martinsburg and Cumberland. Going westbound, the right side is the best on this part. Out of Cumberland, as the train climbs the mountains over Sand Patch, it is better to be on the left side.

If it is light outside the next morning, or you are running late, there is a scenic part just west of Sandusky, Ohio. The train crosses a causeway and a drawbridge on a large body of water(Sandusky bay?).

You are right! It is a river. For many of us in Kansas, it can seem like a lake. There are also several towns in Maryland where there are some very old railroad buildings, maybe someof them in ruins by now but quite interesting to see while you stop at the station. Is is Martinsburg or Cumberland?

I may be incorrect but most of the westbound trip through the mountains occurs after dark. If I had to pick, I think the right side offers nice views of Chicago and some of Lake Michigan as you approach the city.

rile42 said:
I may be incorrect but most of the westbound trip through the mountains occurs after dark.
That's partly true, depending on what time of the year it is. During the summer months, when the sun sets much later, you get to see more of the mountains than you do in the winter.

Additionally, as of April 25th when the new timetable comes out, the Capitol will be leaving Washington almost an hour and a half earlier than it does right now. It's new departure time will be 3:55, instead of 5:20.

Thanks Alan, I wasn't aware of the earlier departure. I can't wait to see how that affects the westbound departure out of Cleveland to Chicago.

rile42 said:
Thanks Alan, I wasn't aware of the earlier departure. I can't wait to see how that affects the westbound departure out of Cleveland to Chicago.
It moves departure from it's current 4:21 AM to a lovely 2:27 AM. :blink:

Back