Can AGR convert a paid reservation into an AGR trip??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRrich

Conductor
On this forum I've learned to make my reservations early so I can get what I want at an affordable price.

So I made some reservations and put them on the Credit Card. Now I see that when my SPG points get converted, I will have enough AGR points to pay for one of my trips.

When the SPG points arrive, can I call AGR and say "I have reservation XXXXX, please convert it to an AGR trip and have my credit card credit for what I was charged for the trip"??

I fear that by the time the points come in, something may be sold out.

AFAIK unless there has been some change associated with the transfer currently underway of AGR to a new company, no, an AGR agent cannot convert an existing paid reservation. Reason: AGR agents don't have access to the credit card system and therefore cannot issue a credit to your card as they try to take over the paid reservation.

If the train is sold out, I believe that the best you can hope for is to call up AGR, quickly cancel your paid reservation and hope that they can grab the cancelled rooms before someone else does.

Also remember that AGR awards have no restrictions (as far as price). So a 1 zone roomette award ("normal cost" $500) in the high bucket costs 15,000 points, and a 1 zone roomette award ("normal cost" $250) in the low bucket also costs 15,000 points.

As long as there's a room on the train, book the AGR award with AGR first AND THEN call Amtrak to cancel the other reservation!

Also remember that AGR awards have no restrictions (as far as price). So a 1 zone roomette award ("normal cost" $500) in the high bucket costs 15,000 points, and a 1 zone roomette award ("normal cost" $250) in the low bucket also costs 15,000 points.
As long as there's a room on the train, book the AGR award with AGR first AND THEN call Amtrak to cancel the other reservation!
Thanks, I am aware of that. Something that I did not mention is that I will be making a Round Trip, but I bought 2 one way tickets - and the one that cost me more is the one that I will cash in AFTER I get my AGR ticket :p

Back